How do you prevent spyware from being installed? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster
(it's free for personal use) Click Here
Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.
Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.
It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here
to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.
These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox
2. Install Sun's Java
. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .
Also, run Adaware periodically. Here are the instructions.
Please scan your system with Ad-aware:
Ad-aware SE - Download - Home Page
- If you have a previous version of Ad-Aware installed, during the installation of the new version you will be prompted to uninstall or keep the older version - be sure to uninstall the previous version.
- After installing Ad-aware, you will be prompted to update the program and run a full scan. De-select all boxes so that it does not run.
- Manually run "Ad-Aware SE Personal" and from the main screen Click on "Check for Updates Now".
- Once the definitions have been updated:
- Reconfigure Ad-Aware for Full Scan as per the following instructions:
- Launch the program, and click on the Gear at the top of the start screen.
- Under General Settings the following boxes should all be checked off: (Checked will be indicated by a green circle with a check mark in it, Un-Checked is a red circle with an X in it. If it is greyed out, those features are only available in the retail version.)
- "Automatically save logfile"
- Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal"
- Safe Mode (always request confirmation)
- Prompt to update outdated confirmation) - Change to 7 days.
- Click the "Scanning" button (On the left side).
- Under Drives & Folders, select "Scan within Archives"
- Click "Click here to select Drives + folders" and select your installed hard drives.
- Under Memory & Registry, select all options.
- Click the "Advanced" button (On the left hand side).
- Under "Shell Integration", select "Move deleted files to Recycle Bin".
- Under "Log-file detail", select all options.
- Click on the "Defaults" button on the left.
- Type in the full url of what you want as your default homepage and searchpage e.g. http://www.google.com.
- Click the "Tweak" button (Again, on the left hand side).
- Expand "Scanning Engine" by clicking on the "+" (Plus) symbol and select the following:
- "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
- "Obtain command line of scanned processes"
- "Scan registry for all users instead of current user only"
- Under "Cleaning Engine", select the following:
- "Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion."
- "During removal, unload explorer and IE if necessary"
- "Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot."
- "Delete quarrantined objects after restoring"
- Click on "Safety Settings" and select "Write-protect system files after repair (Hosts file, etc)"
- Click on "Proceed" to save these Preferences.
- Click on the "Scan Now" button on the left.
- Under "Select Scan Mode, be sure to select "Use Custom Scanning Options".
- Close all programs except ad-aware.
- Click on "Next" in the bottom right corner to start the scan.
- Run the Ad-Aware scan and allow it to remove everything it finds and then REBOOT - Even if not prompted to.
- After you log back in, Ad-Aware may run to finalize the scan and remove any locked files that it may of found. Allow it to finish.