Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dual Boot Machine win 98se & XP - XP rebooting loop

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Can someone out there offer some help please??

i have a dual boot pc with win 98se and win xp. I can access win 98se no problems at all. However, win xp is stuck in a continuous rebooting loop. If i F8 to access other options, safe mode, etc the machine still reboots.

Any idea, please??

I have tried using Recovery Console to do a 'repair' installation, but that failed. I have tried reinstalling xp a fresh on a formatted partition, bu the installation fails at the drvindex.inf stage, then an error message comes on screen, telling me that setup cannot access the cd??? I have checked my setup cd for the file 'drvindex.inf' and it appears to be there. So at this stage, it appears that I cannot repair xp or install a fresh copy on another partition!!!!!!!!!! Messed up alround I fear.

Any ideas, can I repair xp via 98e or are the two softwares not interchangeable?? I feel that when I am logged into 98se and I am looking at the files on xp, that I am doing just that, looking at them, but unable to manipulate them, is this right?

Please help, this is driving me mad, and has been doing so for the past 6 weeks????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!