Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No sound after reinstalling Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

curtwalker

curtwalker

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just recently reformatted and reinstalled Windows XP. There is no sound. I've already checked the obvious (speakers are plugged in to the wall, turned on, plugged into Line Out jack on the PC, etc). I have installed the Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit drivers using the supplied CD. I have also used device manager to update the drivers (it says Windows could not find a better match). After reading another thread on this same problem, I ran Dxdiag. It said that no problems were found under the sound tab, so I clicked the test button. After initiating a sound it asked me if I had heard it, I said no, and this is what appeared in the notes box where "no problems found" had previously appeared:

DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)

I also went to the sound blaster website and downloaded the drivers there. During the installation it still asked me to insert my CD, which to me defeats the purpose of downloading them, but whatever.

Any ideas? I'm dead in the water.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it requests that you insert your CD that means it needs some of the drivers from the CD as well as some from the installation file. Just follow the instructions and it should install. You haven't told us what kind of machine you have, not all are alike.

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Tyger,

I've reinstalled the driver several times. It fails to correct the problem.

My system is as follows:

Mobo - MSI K8N Neo4/SLI
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 3000+
RAM - Corsair XMS 2x1gb DDR400 Dual Channel
Vid Card - EVGA 7600GT
Audio - Onboard Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit
HD - 2x Western Digital 80gb SATA 3.0 Gb/s

My Windows XP installation includes SP2.

Please let me know if there is something specific about my system that I can share if it will be helpful. As I mentioned before, there are several threads out there on other forums describing this same problem. In each case that I've read, the solution was found in installing the correct drivers. I have already done this repeatedly. What else can I do?

Curt

curtwalker

curtwalker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The sound problem is resolved. I need to uncheck a box in the EAX console for "digital output only".