Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A+ Certification

• Please log in to reply

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hey guys,

I have finally decided to start studying to get my A+ certification. Before you say anything. I know that A+ means nothing and that any idiot can read out of a book and learn. Personally I've been working with computers for a little over 10 years now. I've built my own systems. I've learned how to fix most common problems. I am decent grasp on most computer issues. But there is still a lot of information I need to learn. So to me A+ certification is but a stepping stone, I plan to use it to get other certifications and also just to say I have it.

What I would like to know is I have heard A+ comes with two test. One for hardware and one for software, is this true or am I mistaken?

What is the best study book on the market. There is a lot of books from Mike Meyers and CompTIA for the test but I would like to know honest thoughts....if you took the A+ certification and passed, what helped you? Did you buy any books, etc?

After A+ I am looking into getting certification with Networking as well as a few other things in the tech support/repair area. What specific test should I focus on?

Where do I find testing centers? How much do the test cost?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to write. :whistling:

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
From Wiki:

Exam

Exam Cost: US$158 each for Two - CompTIA A+ Essentials (220-601) and one of the following: 220-602 or 220-603 or 220-604.
Time Allocated: 90 minutes per exam.
Number of questions: CompTIA A+ Essentials 100
220-602 (IT Technician) 90
220-603 (Remote Support Technician) 90
220-604 (Depot Technician) 90
Total marks: 900
Score Needed to Pass: CompTIA A+ Essentials 675, 220-602 (IT Technician) 700, 220-603 (Remote Support Technician) 700, & 220-604 (Depot Technician) 700

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
thank you Titian.

What about studying material can anyone recommend a good study material?

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I used this book (granted it was like the first edition when I took my A+)

aplus3ed.jpg
Amazon link to book

it's pretty basic but covers the items on the test quite well...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

I used this book (granted it was like the first edition when I took my A+)

was the version you had printed on a gutenberg press? or was that still back when all books were hand printed by monks? hehe

i've been a fan of cybex books and things of that nature..i haven't seen too many lately that i'd concider horrible

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Transcender is also a good source for practice exams.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts

was the version you had printed on a gutenberg press? or was that still back when all books were hand printed by monks? hehe

You mean there are other ways to print books??? Where the heck have I been?? :whistling:

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Thanks for the advice. I will look over all the books. I still haven't made a decision on which one to buy but I am sure most are pretty strait forward.

:whistling:

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
What is the A+ Certification?? :blink: :whistling:

pyron81

pyron81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
A+ Certification is a certificate letting others know you are certified to work on computers/doing repairs, etc. While it does not get the credit it deserves it is still a good thing to have if you enjoy working on computers/doing repairs.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
After this topic I'm thinking about putting down the C# book and picking up an A+.

Edited by Titan8990, 09 April 2007 - 04:17 PM.

Purplejj

Purplejj

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Im just taking the recommended college courses to pass the exam. :whistling:

GodSpeed005

GodSpeed005

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
I never did go through with doing the tests. I wasnt told that at the end of the course I would have needed to pay an additional 150$ to get the cert. Class is very simple if you already have a grasp on basic computer knowledge. And yes, it is the first step if your looking to move onto other certs. (in my opinion, the easiest cert. to get).

P.S. My teacher was Peter Frampton's cousin which I thought was pretty badass. Do you feel like I do?