Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Safely Remove Hardware

• Please log in to reply

C00P88

C00P88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I just installed an all-in-one media card reader. It works fine, but now I have this icon in my systray that says "Safely Remove Hardware". I click the icon, and it lists the drives of my media card reader. I don't want to un-install the drive(s), so how do I make the icon go away?

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
It does not uninstall the drives. It enables you to safely withdraw the hardware, by disconnecting the power supply to it, as there's a risk that it could be ruined if you withdraw it with the electricity turned on.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, but I do not want to uninstall the drive. I just want the "remove hardware" icon in the sys tray to go away. How can I do that?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't. It's supposed to pop up "safely remove this hardware" in the taskbar because its classed as a removable device.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How can it be a removable device if it's connected to the motherboard? Was there something I was supposed to configure after installing the drive?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Card readers are classed as removable devices. You can get internal card readers and external card readers. Windows has no way of knowing which is which, therefore it will offer the option to "safely remove hardware" for all card reader drives.