Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Illegal System DLL Relocation?

• Please log in to reply

xacultimate

xacultimate

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My OS had to reboot for an OS update, and when it booted back up, I had an error:

RTDGCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occured because the DLL C:\\Windows\system32\hhctrlocx occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

I just wanted to know, if this was anything serious...

.. it is reoccurring, I rebooted again and got the same error message.

And if it is a problem, or even if it isn't - could someone help me remove this? Thanks in advance.

-Edit- OS is Windows Media Center.

-Edit 2- Just realized there's a tech support for Media Center; could someone move this thread please? I feel so stupid... lol...

Edited by xacultimate, 04 April 2007 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

hrparra

hrparra

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hello
I had the same error, and I think that it is fixed. But the problem is that I have XP not Vista.
please check the following post
http://www.geekstogo...s...=154085&hl=

Regards

xacultimate

xacultimate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
As funny as it seems, I can't seem to access safe mode; I tried holding down my F-keys, but it boots right up normally...

No idea what to do about this, lol... thanks for the suggestion though; maybe if I can figure out why I can't access safe mode, or perhaps someone knows?

- Edit - I realize I was holding down the F-key at the wrong time.

I also noticed in my System Restore, that a key point is the recent software update from Microsoft. It is referred to as a Software Distribution or something, with a 2.0 at the end of it. Does this help in terms of figuring out what caused the error?

Edited by xacultimate, 04 April 2007 - 02:17 AM.

hrparra

hrparra

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
xacultimate

Hello

To start up in safe mode there is another way
go to start
go to run
write in the window msconfig
enter
go to boot tab
select safe mode
then accept
restart
kind regards
Hector

hrparra

hrparra

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Hello again
The problem was a problem from microsoft, there is the patch to solve it
you can read the information that Keith (Tech Administrator Geeks to go) kindly provided me

http://support.micro....com/kb/935448/
Cheers Hector

xacultimate

xacultimate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you very much; I downloaded the fix and I don't see the problem anymore. ^^