Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

new router problems

• Please log in to reply

tyleS

tyleS

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi, ive juz fitted a wired router so me and my bro can use da internet at the same time (finally), but it seems as a regular occurance i find the connection is lost, for around 20/30seconds and then the connection is established agen. I am a gamer and i dont no whether it is a coincidence but weneva i am playing the connection is lost quite regularly and is really anooying.. it doesnt say that i havve lost connection on my computer bt it obviously has:S:S:S:S plz help!!

Advertisements

tyleS

tyleS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
:S:S:S:S:?!?!?!?!?!???!!

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Well one question that comes to mind is, is your computer in the DMZ which will allow all traffic through? The router may "think" your machine is being attacked and change the IP which will disconnect you for a while. Check your IP after such an incident to see if it has changed. Routers usually have special settings for gamers.

tyleS

tyleS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
kk ill do that, another thing is that i no the router has a firewall enabled on it and was wondering to know if that would make a difference? Maybe that would stop it discnonecting for short periods. But would it b safe to turn the routers firewall off?

and also it only seems to happen when im on games, when im just browsing the internet it all seems to work fine.. unless its a coincidence.. if it is as you say and its the ip change because it 'thinks' its an attack then what do i do to solve this?

Edited by tyleS, 06 April 2007 - 04:51 AM.

tyleS

tyleS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
cmon guyz plz help uve been a good help b4 bt this time no1 has suggested -.-

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it only happens when your on games it's likely that the router is programmed to reset when too many connections open in a certain period. I would go through the router handbook to see what it says about this.

tyleS

tyleS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
kk thx m8