Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Cleanup Question

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello

My question regards running a disk cleanup on my computer. When I right click the "C: drive" and then click on "Properties;" I am then prompted to run a disk cleanup. My question is whether deleting/removing any of these files could harm/interefere with other programs, applications, etc.

I have done it before and the only thing I do not de chose to remove are the files associated with Microsoft doings. Was there possibly anything deleted/removed that I needed? Is there anything else that I may not want to delete/remove in future disk cleanups? Also, is it perhaps alright to delete/remove those files associate with Microsoft doings?

Thanks...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
when you do a disk cleanup, it only suggests the cleanup of temporary files or files that are generally not needed for future use (the microsoft doings...as you would say)...the MS disk cleanup should have no ill effects

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you very much for the info...

Just one more question to sum it all up for me:

Therefore, any of the following deletions will have no ill effects?

Downloaded Program Files
Temporary Internet Files
Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Web Client/Publication Temporary Files
Temporary Offline Files
Offline Files
Compress Old Files

Once again... thank you very much for your time.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
pretty much no ill effects from any of that....the only things you'll notice is that if you've gone to a page recently (like this one) that allows you to "stay logged in" by using cooikies...then you'll have to log in at those sites again...which isn't a problem....and IF by chance you try to open one of those old files...it will take a second or two longer to open them because they've been compressed...however...they're marked as old for a reason...because they haven't been opened in a long time

you shouldn't notice any bad effects

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you again for all of your help... I greatly appreciate it.