Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Help?!?

• Please log in to reply

W1kpro

W1kpro

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Ill explain what i have first, at the moment i have a coaxile cable from my phone line to my boardband modem, (motorola SB5100.) from the modem it goes straight to my PC via USB, it all works fine.

Now I have purchaed a Netgear wireless router (WGR614 v6). I want to connect my Xbox 360 to the router which will be wired and my nintendo wii which will be wireless.

I dont really know where to start i did this; left my original connection the same but put a ethernet cable from my ethernet port on my modem to the internet port on my router then restarted my PC. Internet still worked fine, but I have some fireware for my router i need to install so it works with my 360. I ran "ipconfig" got my default gateway (80.195.198.1) opened a browser and i cant get the login bit up.

Also how will i set-up my wii conection make a wireless network?

I would be greatful for any advice, as you can probably tell im a bit of a novice when it comes to networking.

Cheers

Edited by W1kpro, 05 April 2007 - 04:55 AM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello W1kpro and welcome to G2G,

You got me a little confused on your setup.....

i have a coaxile cable from my phone line to my boardband modem,

Is your ISP... a dsl or cable company?

And your current configuration is like this....... right?

1.JPG

After you have verified that your setup is like the picture above, then please go this link and start on page 23 and follow the instructions.

If you have any questions or problems after that, let me know.

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
nope mine is set-up a little diffrent thats probably what the problem is?

Its like this..

Posted Image

o and im with Virgin Media which used to be telewest which i belive they are a cable company. cheers spacecowboy

Edited by W1kpro, 05 April 2007 - 12:09 PM.

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Think i done it, all i done was set it up as above and change the USB connection to an Ethernet, Xbox works fine now as I added my firmware as well, one thing though, my Wii will this connection be safe as its wireless, I hav'nt installed any security just the windows firewall, oh and my normall mcafree, cheers m8

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Glad to see you working,

In terms of safety for your wireless, the only thing you have to worry about, for the most part, are thiefs jumping on your broadcast and hogging up your bandwidth. I have zero experience with WII's and whether they are compatible with WEP or WPA wireless encryption (which is the type of security most routers use). for that you might want to try the console forum located here and see if another user knows if wii's are compatible.