Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't stop updating

• Please log in to reply

jones082

jones082

• PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Every day now for about a two weeks, my auto update advises me that the update is ready for Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474). I keep updating and it says I'm successful and then pops up again the next day.
It won't leave me alone.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Windows Update KB905474 and KB913446 Installation Failed with Error Code 0×80242006

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
The updates have always said 'sucessful.' And the update is listed in my programs. I downloaded it directly from the site once again, and today it wants to update again!

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Try this;

Windows Genuine Advantage (KB905474) error 0x80070005

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
As usual, the update was successful. But, now it's even worse. This time I didn't even get a day's peace. Five minutes later, the update notice popped up.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you clicked on the notice and allowed it to update. There have been about 2 Genuine advantage Updates and 1 Security update sense last patch Tuesday( The second Tuesday of the month) as far as I know. Microsoft try's to keep to its schedule but some of these patches were more urgent.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Yep, it's the same update over and over: Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474). And now it just seems to be stuck at the part where it tells me that "updates are ready for your computer, click here to install the updates." I install, it says "installation successful," then repeats the whole thing.

Edited by jones082, 06 April 2007 - 12:23 PM.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I just tried shutting off auto update for a few days. As soon as I turned it on again, same thing. Does anyone else have a solution?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you run Microsoft Update

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
http://www.amset.inf...dates.asp#Reset Automatic Updates

Prompting to Install the Same Updates Every Day

If you are being asked to install the same updates every day, then the catalogue that manages what updates you have installed is probably corrupt. There are a number of resolutions that you can try, in order to resolve this problem.

Resolution 11. Open "Computer Management" from within Administrative Tools in Control Panel.
2. Expand the Services and Applications branch.
3. In the list of services, find "Automatic updates".
4. Right click on it and choose "restart". If this option isn't available, choose "Stop" and then once the service has been stopped, right click again and choose "Start".

Resolution 21. Stop the "Automatic Updates" service from within "Services" in "Computer Management".
2. Browse to Program Files, Windows Update.
Note: If you don't see the "Windows Update" folder, then you need to turn on "Show Hidden Files and Folders". To do this click on Tools, Folder options. Then choose the "View" tab. Scroll down until you find the section "Hidden Files and Folders" and change the radio button to "Show hidden files and folders".
3. Delete everything in that folder except for the folder called "V4".
4. Double click on the "V4 folder".
5. Delete everything in that folder except for "iuhist.xml" (you may not see the xml extension if you don't view extensions normally.
6. Close the Explorer windows. If you had to enable "Show Hidden Files and Folders" then change the option back if you don't want to see them normally.
7. Restart the "Automatic Updates" service.
Resolution 3 (Windows XP only)1. Stop the "Automatic Updates" service from within "Services" in "Computer Management".
2. Browse to the windows directory, then the system32 then "catroot2" - NOT CATROOT without a number!
3. Delete the contents of that directory, including the subdirectories.
4. Reboot the machine.

Resolution 3a (Windows XP)

In some cases we have had to rename the "catroot2" directory (such as putting .old after it) then rebooting for the problem to go away. You cannot delete the folder as it will probably be in use. After rebooting, Windows will create a new copy of the "catroot2" folder and this should resolve the problem.

jones082

jones082

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. It will take me awhile to try these things.