Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

netgear router to xbox 360 ...IP adress failed (xbox livetest)

• Please log in to reply

terrythc

terrythc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi ive been trying to get online with my 360 for ages...i got a wirlessnetwork set up and its linked fine to my xbox360 ...and it shows i am on my home wirless network ..but when i try and "test media" or "test xbox360 live" it fails on my Ip address? ... i checked the router config to certify that its DHCP enabled ...and with the help of"super sam" in this forum... have manualy set the IP,dns server, gateway etc ... and this still hasnt worked? ...its killling me...can someone please help? :whistling: i have gold membership i havent used yet ...i need to go on line :blink: ...all aol said (im on aol platinum 8mps) is... ohh tell xbox its a dynamic ip adress...and then xbox said ..."change ips" ...thanks there...lol no help from the people who are actualy selling me this stuff! lol ...can anyone please help me?
Terry

MOVED TO CONSOLE GAMES FORUM

Edited by Fenor, 04 April 2007 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
If you manually set the IP address then that would make the ip static and not dynamic. Dynamic IP address are picked at random when you log on. Set every setting the can be set to "automatic" to automatic and see how that goes. Also try skipping the router and going directly to the modem.

Also Xbox Live compatable router list is here: http://www.xbox.com/...g/equipment.htm.

Edited by Titan8990, 07 April 2007 - 03:58 PM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I've helped him now anyway - it's working for him :whistling:

360nightmare

360nightmare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm hoping for a follow on help for this problem please. I have a 360 that is failing the IP test as well. I have a PC with Vista Ultimate, connected wirelessly to my netgear DG834PN adsl router. I am connecting my 360 into my wireless PC with the LAN cable supplied.
I have tried going through installing the extender in media center. That doesn't work. I am at my witts end.
My router is a DHCP server, as it has an ip starting 192.168.xx.xxx.

I just don't know what to do at all.

Any help pleeeeeease.

360nightmare

360nightmare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have now added a network bridge, and added the new MAC address into my router, but I still can not get an IP address on the live test.
The bridge is working and I can connect to the internet on my PC with the bridge active.

Any help please.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hmm, you might have a problem with this. See, when you share a connection from one computer to another it uses DHCP, giving it a LAN IP Address to share an Internet IP Address. The computer is trying to give out it's own DHCP, but it won't work with your XBOX because it's on DHCP itself. Bridging both the wireless and the wired connections on the Vista PC could be a potential fix.

If I don't respond PM me, I'm in America at the moment (a bit far from home :blink:) :whistling:

Edited by SuperSam, 04 July 2007 - 09:41 PM.

Jump4Life

Jump4Life

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys I'm new to this site. Found this topic through google and decided to register. My 360 is connected to the modem via ethernet wire. Everything works until I get to the ip test and it always fails. I unplugged and replugged the modem and that did nothing. I even called microsoft help and they didn't do anything. Anybody have any suggestions for me?

Dumbdumb89

Dumbdumb89

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok im sure this is prob a dumb question but anyways,

i just got a 360 and im trying to play online but when i do the test it always fails the ip address
i have bridge 2 connections togeather so i could bypass having to buy that network adapter, im using an Ethernet cable to link my 360 to my laptop, but my laptop is always connected to my neighbors wireless internet, one of my friends is the same way but he got his working.. y wont myn work

Hutson Ventures

Hutson Ventures

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi ive been trying to get online with my 360 for ages...i got a wirlessnetwork set up and its linked fine to my xbox360 ...and it shows i am on my home wirless network ..but when i try and "test media" or "test xbox360 live" it fails on my Ip address? ... i checked the router config to certify that its DHCP enabled ...and with the help of"super sam" in this forum... have manualy set the IP,dns server, gateway etc ... and this still hasnt worked? ...its killling me...can someone please help? :) i have gold membership i havent used yet ...i need to go on line :) ...all aol said (im on aol platinum 8mps) is... ohh tell xbox its a dynamic ip adress...and then xbox said ..."change ips" ...thanks there...lol no help from the people who are actualy selling me this stuff! lol ...can anyone please help me?
Terry

MOVED TO CONSOLE GAMES FORUM

Just wondering if you had a WIRELESS N ROUTER ? AS XBOX S CARD IS ONLY COMPATIABLE WITH A/B/G. Let me know and we'll go from there. Thank you, Adam

Adam Hutson
Owner
Hutson Ventures,LLC.
Computer Repair and Web Design

Edited by dsenette, 26 May 2010 - 01:59 PM.
removed link and phone number

Oblivionon360

Oblivionon360

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
I Believe for those of you seeking assistance with your xbox 360 you should start your own topic in the console games section Here. We do not realize you need assistance when you are posting on a topic that is in the process of being fixed. To get a faster reply I do Suggest you start you own topic.

kidr0b0t

kidr0b0t

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OMG!!! im using a netgear router WGR614 v6 and 360 keeps saying it needs a ip address after i test the connection! and i set up the netgear router properlly!!! please i need x-box live before June!!! (super sam can u help me like u help that other kid?) :) :)

Mauro

Mauro

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I got for me a wireless print server with a RJ-45 on the back, just configure one and plug on the xbox 360, it works perfect, I am using one Netgear WPGS606 and not having any problem, it is just plug and play. You can get one of those cheap on ebay.