Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Even Load Windows

• Please log in to reply

knowledge24

knowledge24

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I just started having a problem turning on my laptop.

I turn it on and then the black screen is up, saying that Windows did not shut down properly and it gives me a choice of starting it in Safe Mode, etc.

No matter which option I choose, it goes the Windows XP loading screen, goes black for a second and then a blue screen quickly flashes and then my computer restarts back to that black screen that says I did not shut down properly.

The blue screen flashes by fast, but I was able to make out physical dump memory or something.

Any idea what this could be? Will rebooting with my XP disc fix this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I take it you mean "will booting from and re-installing with your XP disc fix the problem" ?
It will if it's just a software error (corrupted or missing files, bad driver etc.), but it won't if it's a hardware issue.
For the latter you would first need to identify and replace the faulty hardware component.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Knowledge24
If you have an xp cd then I would suggest this option
Repair xp
Cheers
Peterm

knowledge24

knowledge24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I went ahead and wiped out everything and started all over. Thanks for the reply!