Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen on start up

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Then it is likely to be system restore to the nearest system checkpoint to see if the system will run, if it does, I would look on any programmes which need re-installing or updating as a necessary inconvenience

Or XP repair to access and back up the data ahead of a clean install

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the power button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need your XP product key to complete this

The XP Product Key is a 25 character alpha numerical code, which does not include the sequence OEM

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

Click this to view the XP Repair Install Guide

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

The XP repair install will look and run as a normal install, however, you must not see a request to format the drive

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

Advertisements

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I will try out the system restore but I've got a question about a repair install. I know you've mentioned that only the operating system is repaired but what "exactly" will get changed? What will happen to my start-up programmes, all drivers installed, the few changes I've made in my current settings such as changed the theme to silver instead of blue, installed programmes etc.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Of those, am not sure about theme change, everything else there remains as is

You will need to install Microsoft Updates

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
System restore didn't resolve anything. We're just looking at a repair install of XP now I guess.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Getting it to run enough so you can get the data is the thing, some repairs run well enough so you do not have to hurry to re-install

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, I'm in the middle of a repair install and I have a huge feeling the system is frozen. The mouse does work but the process bar and time left hasn't moved for the past 20 mins or so. It is at 34 minutes remaining and currently is "installing devices" in the "Installing Windows" category. What should I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can press the reset button, it will restart the repair though

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Ok I did that but it seems to have frozen up on the same position again. This is strange.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got access to a PC you can add your hard drive to as a slave to get the data

http://www.askbobran...hard_drive.html

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
No I only have a laptop and don't have an external closure to connect it as USB either. Should I disconnect my USB devices from the computer before starting the repair install?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Leave only the keyboard, mouse and monitor if you can

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
It's running on that now. Basically everything and I mean the 5 boxes on the bottom right keep popping, the information area keeps showing different information about XP and even the mouse is working fine but just the process bar doesn't seem to increase at all. Could it be that a lot of devices have to be installed and that's why it's taking such a long time? I'm taking a flight in a couple of hours and won't be back for 10 days so I'd really love to make this work before leaving.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Let it run for 20 mins, if it halts again then it could be a Ram memory error and testing that is an overnight thing

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Yup still nothing. Really? I checked my RAM about 2 weeks back, left it ovenight and had no errors.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could physically remove the video card, soundcard and run the repair with one stick of Ram

Make sure the power is off before opening the case