Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installation problems

• Please log in to reply

kipis

kipis

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Does anyone have any tips how how to install older software not designed for XP, in XP?? What is really bothering me is that my friend can install this particular software disc on his system, in XP, but I cannot. I have removed all spyware in case that was a conflict but it didn't seem to help. My virus program is AVG. I can see the install exe but it will not open, will not run... oddly enough, the uninstall exe will run. It just seems like it needs a small push or prod to run. Opening the disc in DOS didn't reveal any errors. I would really appreciate any advice.

Advertisements

Jye

Jye

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
It would be helpfull if you said what the program was and is it the same disk used on your m8's pc. As it may be corrupted

kipis

kipis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Still trying to install the software, got this error, can anyone help??

RUNDLL32.EXE
you choose to end the non-responsive program
Run a DLL as an App

Files in error report
C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2Fdd.dir00\rundll32.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\FRANKS~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER2Fdd.dir00\Appcompat.txt
Error signature
szAppName:rundll32.exe
szAppVer:5.1.2600.2180
szModName:hungapp
szModVer:0.0.0.0
Offset:00000000

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
As jye noted, it would be helpful if you posted the name of the program.

As in, those errors are not error messages, but files that are sent to MS for troubleshooing, debugging. Wouldn't help us unless you sent the file and then we ran it through a debugger...

Here is my speculation....you didn't get all the spyware and something is using rundll32, or you have a program that requires exclusive use of it, or it is corrupt.

A more useful piece of information might be found here:

Look at your system clock, try to install
Now
start > run type
eventrvwr.msc
enter

Look for an error in Application or SYSTEM that occured at the time you noted earlier

report back

kipis

kipis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank-you for looking at my question and writing to me... The program I am trying to install is MyBusinessCards made by MySoftware Company Ver 3.0.1B designed for Windows NT4, 2000, 95, 98 or ME. Today I was having quite a few problems because I tried to 'pick at' anything I could install from the dics and I think I installed some older sections onto my outlook express and maybe some other places... anyway I went back to SYSTEM RESTORE , selected a date from a week ago and put my computer back to where it was and then things worked normally. Those spywear checkers got installed again but they didn't seem to make much difference anyway so I left them but I can remove them again if you think it will help.
Now as for the system clock .... Well, I think I am looking at the system clock.... I am at computer mangement, event viewer, system... here I am getting a list of items and the type, date, time, source, catagory, event, user, computer.... I see lots of errors here.
I selected APPLICATION errors and I see two entries called Application Hang listed at about the time I got the error message. A double click on The first one gives me this
Fault bucket 126648864.
0000: 42 75 63 6b 65 74 3a 20 Bucket:
0008: 31 32 36 36 34 38 38 36 12664886
0010: 34 0d 0a
The second one says
Hanging application rundll32.exe, version 5.52600.2180, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 48 61 6e 67 ion Hang
0010: 20 20 72 75 6e 64 6c 6c rundll
Is this information helpful??? Is there anything else I can do?
Thank-you
Kipis

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
kipis....your friend has XP, but does he have Service Pack 2?

And do you?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you try right clicking the desktop icon then properties then compatibility and ticking run this programme in compatibility mode for ME

kipis

kipis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes I did I tried all the compatibility options that I found there.
Thank-you for your suggestion

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If I am understanding you, the problem is the installation of the program. I rarely fine installation routines that run in compatibility mode because of how they are written.

That said, this is a really old program, is it not?

This is a long shot, but very old programs sometimes installed everything they needed in the program directory....you may get lucky by copying the directory from another machine and moving it to your own.

Just a long shot

kipis

kipis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
thanks again, I will try that, yes it is an old program

kipis

kipis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I AM DELIGHTED TO LET EVERY WHO READ THIS KNOW THAT WITH THE HELP OF GERRYF, THIS PROBLEM IS SOLVED. I COULDN'T INSTALL THIS SOFTWARE BECAUSE THE RUNDLL WAS BLOCKED OR BEING USED BY ANOTHER PROGRAM THAT WAS TRYING TO INSTALL. I WAS GETTING NOTIFIED OF THIS AT EVERY STARTUP; I WOULD GET A PROMPT TO INSERT CD; BUT THIS WAS A PROGRAM THAT I DIDN'T HAVE OR WANT OR I ALWAYS CANCELLED IT. AT GERRYF'S SUGGESTION I DELETED THIS ITEM (IT SAID IT WAS A READ-ONLY FILE) USING THE TASK MANAGER AND THEN I COULD INSTALL THE PROGRAM I WANTED. THANK YOU ALL, ESPECIALLY GERRYF
KIPIS