Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

outlook express

• Please log in to reply

hollywoodmarine

hollywoodmarine

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had to use my recovery disk on my laptop, i was using outlook express for my free hotmail account. I would like to use this because it makes it easier than having to type in my address. i contacted microsoft and said that msn no longer supports free e-mail accounts. well no one told me that. but why is it that i can still use it on my other pc. what can i do, it was so easy using outlook express .. thanks hollywoodmarine

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The fact that Microsoft "no longer supports" free email accounts simply means they will no longer help you with any problems you have with one. It has nothing to do with your Outlook Express problem.

Since you re-installed Windows on your laptop you have "wiped" all the account information from the previous copy of OE that was on it. You should have made a backup of this account information (a very easy task) before using the Recovery disc. However, if you have the same account running on another PC, all is not lost.

1. Open OE on the other PC where hotmail is working okay.
2. On the menu bar click "Tools->Accounts".
3. Click "Mail" tab, highlight the 'hotmail' account and then click the "Export" button.
4. Insert a blank, formatted floppy disk or a USB flash-drive and save the export file to it.

5. Now go to your laptop and open OE.
6. Insert the floppy disk/flash drive containing the exported file.
7. Click "Tools->Accounts" on the menu bar, then click the "Mail" tab.
8. Click "Import".
9. Import the file from the floppy disk or flash drive.

That account should now work on the laptop.

Edited by pip22, 05 April 2007 - 01:55 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You also need a Hotmail account that's old enough, because Microsoft decreed a while back that access to Hotmail accounts through Outlook Express would no longer be available to new Hotmail addresses but would be retained for existing users. In fact I understand that this is now being phased out for free Hotmail accounts and the only way to be able to do it eventually will be through a Hotmail Plus account.

There are other ways though - Thunderbird and the Web Mail extension set will still do it.
http://webmail.mozdev.org/

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Hotmail does not support POP3 at all. Im not really sure how you received your email in OE from Hotmail unless you navigated to hotmail.com in OE.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hotmail does not support POP3 at all. Im not really sure how you received your email in OE from Hotmail unless you navigated to hotmail.com in OE.

In Outlook Express, all you needed to do was put your email address in and it put the server address in for you. This has been the case since at least Outlook Express 4.
Since then it has been the case that this is no longer going to be the case unless you are in pocession of a Hotmail Plus account.

Edited by Neil Jones, 05 April 2007 - 02:17 PM.