Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unusually High Number of Processes with Windows

• Please log in to reply

DJ_Hellenic

DJ_Hellenic

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Don't know why, but over the last month I've had abnormally high Windows processes occuring and working for the entire time my computer is on.

At Startup there was 58 processes, and during regular use when the computer has been on for many hours it is about 53 or 55.

This seems to be taking a big toll on my RAM, as I never have more than 50% RAM available. I was just wodnering if anybody could help me find some unecessary processes to remove and stop them from starting in the first place. Thanks. Or of there is even possibly something wrong with my computer.

P.S It is not due to numerous installed programs, as I do not autorun unecessary things. Taskbar is fairly small, and about 4/8 taskbar icons are for security/anti virus alone.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Since we've no idea what software you use and how you prefer to have each one configured, it's impossible to tell you what processes can be disabled except for the default Windows ones, and it's unlikely to be any of them anyway which are responsible for the high number.

I recommend you install 'HijackThis', run it and submit the log to the Malware forum. Read the "sticky" posts first on that forum which is here:
http://www.geekstogo...o_Here-f37.html