Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

memory frequency and timings

• Please log in to reply

icikle

icikle

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
Hi,

I am using Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-6400C5 TwinX (2x1GB) on a Asus P5N-E SLI 650i Socket 775 Onboard Audio ATX mainboard.

I have been in to the bios to change the memory timings to 5 - 5 - 5 - 12 - t1. I have also changed the memory frequency to unlinked from the cpu and have it set to 800mhz.

The problem lies when i reboot and run cpu-z to find that my memory is still running at only 400mhz. How do i get my memory to permanently run at 800mhz. The only logical thing i can think is that the 2 sticks are sharing 800mhz therefore I need to up it to 1600mhz in the bios. Is this correct? Either way please help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You don't need to alter anything.

DDR2 Memory at this time comes in three main types:

PC4200 (aka DDR533)
PC5300 (aka DDR667)
PC6400 (aka DDR800) <-- the model number on your stick indicates that this is what you have.

In DDR2 the bus is clocked at twice the speed of the memory cells, so four words of data can be transferred per memory cell cycle. Thus, without speeding up the memory cells themselves, DDR2 can effectively operate at twice the bus speed of DDR.

That is to say, the memory does run at 266/333/400Mhz (which is how CPU-Z has identified it which is correct), but the technology of the modules means it is running at 800Mhz in the amount of data it has sent through.

Now I strongly suggest you go back into the BIOS and reset the memory timings.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
really?? i was told to alter the timings by a corsair advisor.

I will do that then.

Also one more thing, my pc is fresh custom built from scratch no longer than a day ago, when i reboot my pc after is has been off for a period of more than one hour I get a startup error saying "your cpu seems to have been changed, please re-enter the cmos setup" or something along those lines. How do I avoid this???

My equipment is all connected fine, my cpu is Intel E6600 Duel core 2.40ghz.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
re: Memory timings, the failsafe ones are those chosen by your board - as in "Auto by SPD" which in most cases is the same as you setting them manually from the stickers on the modules.

re: the magically changing CPU, Your CMOS Battery is probably flat, or you are pulling the power on the computer during the POST screen, which in some instances will cause the board to think you had to reset it because you overclocked it.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
my mainboard is brand new, it shouldnt be flat, and i dont understand what u mean by the other thing.

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
YOU CAN TRY THAT BUT ALSO CHECK YOUR MOBO JUMPERS. MAKE SURE THEY ARE SET TO THE RITE CPU FREUENCY.

icikle

icikle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
you are speaking like i know what im doing :whistling: lol

this is the first time ive built a pc, but ive jus logged on this morning to find the error no longer displays, so maybe it fine now, and my machine runs like a dream