Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSOD on start-up....HELP!

• Please log in to reply

not_again3x

not_again3x

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
im not getting the dreaded BSOD on my Dell laptop. I've had the computer for about 2 years now, and just starting having this problem. You guys helped me out last time it happened on my PC, so Im back. My bro said firefox was trying to install an update when he shutoff the computer during the middle on the install. Now, Im pressing F8 on start-up to try and run in Safe Mode, but when I select SM, either with networking or without, it will do its thing for a few seconds, and then the BSOD shows up again.

Does anyone know what to do? At least so I can run the computer in Safe Mode to try and run Ad.aware and hijackthis, etc.? Please help, thanks in advance

Advertisements

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
anybody? Bueller?....

seriously though, if it was the regular BSOD, I could figure it out through SafeMode, but I cant even boot up in SafeMode without getting the BSOD. I dont know if there is something I can do in the general setup (pressing F2 on startup). But as of now, my laptop is completely worthless, and I desperately come to you for help. PLEASE HELP!

-by the way, Im typing this from work, as its the only computer I have access to now. Thanks

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
For this you will need xp installation cd. We will try to restore the computer to a date before the ptoblem started. Insert the disk into the drive and reboot. when asked to press any key for startup do this. If it doesn't work enter BIOS or bootup menu and make sure cd drive is first priority boot device.

Let the computer run setup up to the point that you get three options one being "restore using recovery control" . press R. When asked for windows installation press 1 then Enter. When asked for password press Enter if you don't have any or type the passord.

A dos-like black screen will show up. At the prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe. Restore window will open. Follow the instruction and restore to a date before the problem started.

If this doesn't help repeat the process and at the prompt type chkdsk /r. Let the process run to the end.

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
allright....nothing but more problems. When I start my computer and hit F8, I'll hit REBOOT, and it shuts down and tries to start up again. When it starts back up, I get the black screen saying...

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this problem."

Then, the options I have are only Safe Mode options. If I choose "Start Windows Normally", any safe mode option, or "Start using last known good configuration", I still get the BSOD. So, it doesnt look like I can even ReBoot

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
actually, I used F12 on start-up and changed the BIOS to show the CD drive as #1 priority. More to follow......

Thanks for your help Skeptic

not_again3x

not_again3x

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Skeptic....YOU ARE THE MAN! Ran the CHKDSK, took a while, but when it finished, i exited, and Windows started up just like it should. Gonna run ad.aware as soon as I get home (battery died), and clean it up. This is the 2nd time I have come to your site for help and both times, I had my computer back and running in no time. Thanks again

what is the main reason for BSOD? Is it certain files I have on my PC, or just an error embedded in windows? You guys rock

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know. BSOD can be the result of almost anything, failure of hardware or software. It can be the result of a sudden surge of power, for example, corruption by malware and many other things. They have numbered codes to help identify the problem but many times the same code can cover a large number of possibilities. To overcome this difficulty a systematic approach is needed.