Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

staying in a game

• Please log in to reply

stratman

stratman

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i have a very simple problem, propably, I have the game call of duty, the expansion pack, and after about 30 mins in the game it kicks out and goes to the desktop, i have installed the first version, it did not cure the problem and my system meets all the requirements to run the game, i have 128 mb graphics card, pentium 4 processor, 256 mb of ram, and 80 gig harddrive, and it still kicks out without any errors messages, so if any one can ghive me some help it would be appreciated

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
This is almost always driver or memory related.

First, update the game, get the most current drivers for your videocard and soundcard.

Here is what Activision says:
------------------

Set your desktop to a resolution of 800x600, 32 bit True Color.
1) Right-click on your desktop and select Properties.
2) Click the Settings tab.
3) Set your screen area to 800x600.
4) Set the colors to 32 Bit (True Color). Under Windows NT this will be listed as 65554 colors.
5) Click Apply and OK.

All background applications must be shutdown prior to running the game.

Turn the hardware acceleration for your sound card to Basic.
1) Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
2) Double-click on the Multimedia icon.
3) Select the Audio tab.
4) Click on the Advanced Properties button in the Playback section.
5) Click on the Performance tab.
6) Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
7) Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don't forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications. 

NOTE: For Windows XP
1) Click the Start button > Settings > Control Panel.
2) Double-click the Sounds and Audio Devices icon.
3) Click the Volume tab.
4) Under Speaker settings, click the Advanced button.
5) Click the Performance tab. 6) Reduce the Hardware acceleration to Basic, the 2nd notch from the left.
7) Click Apply and then OK 2 times. Run the game now. Don't forget to turn the acceleration back up to restore the high-end features for your sound card when using other applications.

If this continues, download a memory tester like memtest86+ (google it) and run it.

Even if memtest86+ passes muster, you could still have a memory problem. I had one issue that passed every test imaginable, but it made no difference...the stick of ram was the issue. I proved thisby moving the memory stick from machine to machine and the problem recurrec in each machine.

If you can, remove one stick of ram (if there are two), see if the problem recurs, then put in the other stick.

As always, when opening your machine, guard against static electricity by grounding yourself

------------------------------------------------------

It some cases, it COULD be heat on the GPU or CPU (though these do not normally result in a crash to desktop, but a total machine reboot. You can try to open the case and blow a small fan across the videocard and cpu at lowu can, speed .... this would be very rare though.

stratman

stratman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have the latest drivers for my video card and sound and i have set the optimal settings for the game, the only thing i havent tried is to put a fan on the gpu and cpu and put another stick of ram in it, but if you have anymore info i would appericate it thanks