Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Accessing/showing mpeg files crashes Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply

Chris Owen

Chris Owen

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi guys....has anyone experienced this incredibly frustrating and seemingly inexplicable problem before? I've recently bought a brand new Mesh PC, with top spec for video editing, running XP, cost over a grand. After editing a project in Premiere Pro 1.5, and then exporting the finished edit as an mpeg (using Premier's built-in mpeg encoder) to a folder in the directory. So far so good. But whenever I then open that folder (either by simply browsing the directory, or open it from within another program), Windows Explorer hangs/freezes, and after a few seconds, up pops the error message 'Windows Explorer has had to close. Sorry for any inconvenience, etc, etc). It only happens with mpegs encoded with the mpeg encoder built-in to Premier. When I export the same section of edited video as an avi, quicktime movie, (both just using Premier) or mpeg1 (by using the encoder), everything works fine. I can access the exported avi/quicktime/mpeg1 as per normal. My mpeg encoder is a fully activated copy by the way.

Here's the odd bit....If I export from Premier as mpeg2 onto my external HDD, and then hook the HDD external up to another PC, this other PC has no problem seeing/importing the mpeg2 file !!! The other PC runs XP too. Go figure....

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have a working solution as to how I can export mpeg from within Premier without this problem happening? Would exporting as an avi, and then converting to mpeg with another piece of software affect quality?

Huge thanks to any assistance anyone can offer.

Regards,

- Chris Owen

Edited by Chris Owen, 05 April 2007 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements