Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using AV to clean out a diskette infected with Datalock.920Progra

• Please log in to reply

wdc202

wdc202

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
I have a diskette with a little program (for finding prime numbers) that worked fine in my DOS 2 pc but wont run in DOS on my W95 pc . Apparently, it has become infected. The Norton AV on the W95 pc tells me the program is infected with Datalock.920 and Norton has quarantined it.,

Id like to import the program to my W98 and XP pcs (each with DOS). Can I safely use the Avast! AV program on my W98 pc to clean out the virus? Or is that risky? Is there another way I can recover the program?

Thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The virus seems to be associated with msdos, but I would not import and put it on the computer. I would try and clean it from the floppy. A google search turned up the names that McAfee, Computer Associates, panda, and Kapersky call it.
I believe McAfee has a on line scanner. I know that panda does and that CA does. (CA only runs from IE).
COMPUTER ASSOCIATES SCANNER
McAFEE FREE SCAN