Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Port 80 blocked?

• Please log in to reply

help

help

• Pip
  • 6 posts
The laptop gets an IP address okay. I can ping websites, remote desktop to my office computer from home (DSL with a router), and map a network drive when connected to my office LAN. But Internet Explorer "cannot display a webpage" or "connection is refused" in Mozilla Firefox at any location. I uninstalled symantec client security totally (white paper and removal tool) and the windows firewall is set to off. But both web browsers will work when the laptop is booted in safe mode with networking.

MOVED TO NETWORKING FORUM

Edited by help, 07 April 2007 - 07:01 PM.

Advertisements

help

help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This happens whether I am connected wirelessly or by LAN. The laptop is running Windows XP SP2. I am currently trying to reinstall the SP2 update to see if that fixes it.

Edited by help, 06 April 2007 - 02:12 PM.

help

help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It did not fix it. :-(

Would posting the log help?

Edited by help, 07 April 2007 - 10:57 AM.

help

help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
A colleague told me how to try a winsock fix program. I ran it and rebooted the computer and it did not fix it. What could be blocking them from connnecting?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You're just annoying people by booting your topic back up, and you're making it look like it's already been replied to.

help

help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry, I am new to posting and I am not trying to annoy anyone. I am simply trying to provide as much information of this issue as possible to the technical staff so as to get help to resolve it.

Edited by help, 07 April 2007 - 08:52 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi help!

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post a HiJackThis Log in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post a HJT log, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Fenor

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Abiity to surf in safe mode indicates that you have some thing running in normal mode that is causing the issue. Are you running any thing in the way of anti spyware? If you go to Start /run /open=msconfig. Select the services tab and check the "hide windows services" option. Anything left will be what could cause the problem. Uncheck any firewall or anti spyware services click OK and restart.

help

help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Silverbeard - I followed your suggestion (rebooted) and still no luck. I am going to try Fenor's suggestion and hopefully I can eventually get to the bottom of this. Thank you both!

Edited by help, 08 April 2007 - 11:36 AM.