Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC locking up when I play games... Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

Wandigo

Wandigo

• Pip
  • 4 posts
As my first post here, I hope I don't break any "rules" since I have just now discovered this site.

I think that my processor might be overheating because out of nowhere my system will just suddenly freeze and I have to manually reset the computer.

BUT

It has only happened during two activities I've done:

---------When I open and run UnrealTournament (an RNG shooting game), I can play for about 5 minutes and it freezes.
---------When I use Videora (sp?) to convert .mpg files to .mp4 files for my iPod.

So it seems that it's only freezing up when I run something that sucks up a lot of my memory. I can browse 10 web pages, run Adobe Premiere and Photoshop and even some Solitaire and everything will run fine. I recently bought a brand new Video card and the same problem occurs, so I don't think that it is with that card. (Besides, it has a MONSTER fan on it!)

I downloaded SpeedFan but am not sure how to use it or check what my temps are. It seems like it wants some settings and I'm not sure what to give it.

Here are some specs on my system to hopefully help someone figure out what I can do to fix this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks a bunch! It didn't start doing this until a month or so ago and it's really bumming me out.

Edited by Wandigo, 05 April 2007 - 04:01 PM.

Advertisements

Wandigo

Wandigo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
cmon I know it's my first post, but I really need help here :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Wandigo...

Your specs look good, let's check the temps. Download, install, and run SpeedFan. With the "Readings" tab selected, watch temps 1, 2, 3, and Core (on the right side of the window) and report the high temperatures you see after running the machine a bit. Better yet, post us a screenshot of the SpeedFan window.

wannabe1

Wandigo

Wandigo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks wannabe, here's a screenshot of speedfan while nothing else is running

Posted Image

Here's a shot taken after I open up the game (where it usually freezes several minutes later)

Posted Image

Thanks!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmmm...

SpeedFan isn't seeing the CPU sensors...that's what we need to look at. The HDD is getting a bit too warm, though. Check all your fans...are they spinning up properly? When was the last time you cleaned the CPU cooler?

Wandigo

Wandigo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
There's a chance I may have fixed it.. I looked inside my comp and apparently the lever that locks down the fan to the cpu wasn't locked down (the one that you have to push hard to snap shut). So I locked it down and played a game for over a half hour and had no troubles. Does this sound like something that could have been the problem?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it sure does. :whistling:

Let us know if the problem returns.