Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant conect to ie

• Please log in to reply

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
hey

some time ago i was having trouble viewing internet pages on ie and firefox,so i downloaded broadband medic to speek to a adviser there and he told me to change these settings in internet properties/connections then lan settings and i changed the proxy server to adress : 62.252.128.15 port : 8080 and after i did that i was able to view the pages i wanted to view,but recently ive been able to view the pages at last on firefox {strange} but now im having trouble with ie and i remember the guy telling that i should change it back if they ever conflict with each other,but ntl has been bough by virgin and all there other stuff is down and i cant remember what the proxy server to adress was or the port.just wondering if there was like a setting i could use to reset them?

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
Can you try letting IE automatically detect settings?

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
yea ive tryed that,still doesnt seem to work :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which version of IE and is that the only thing which won't connect, (does the firewall / anti virus update)

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
im using the latest version of ie,my avast anti virus seems to be updating ok,its just hapened recent that i cant connect through it,i cant login to msn because it uses ie and i also play warrock and theres been a update for that and it wont update cause it uses ie.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open IE, click tools, internet options, delete all, include add ons

Click advanced, click reset, close IE, open IE

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
HEY

i tried what u said and it seems to be loading the page for a second then it just comes up error {Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage}

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
In IE, tools, internet options, programmes

Is IE set as the default browser

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
it was set as my default browser,but i changed it to firefox,when it was my default browser,which i tryed a few mins ago and restarted my pc,still no change.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

Occasionally the system file check does not start using run, so you can also right click the taskbar, click task manager, click file, new task, type sfc /scannow then click OK

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Advertisements

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
hey

i dont currently have the windows xp disc,and im not to sure where i could get 1 from

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Then you could use add and remove to uninstall windows internet explorer, so it rolls back to 6, then try installing 7

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
ok ill try that and get back to u on how it goes.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
i did what u said and after uninstalling ie 7 to 6 then installing ie 7 the problem seems to be there still.

ChRiS1888

ChRiS1888

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
i need to head of to work at :start at 7pm uk time.
ill be back on my pc tommorow morning/afternoon.