Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop cannont connect to internet (Linksys WRT54G)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Orbison

Orbison

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
A very strange situation is going on between my laptop and my desktop (dell XPS Gen2 XPHome SP 1a).

I JUST now reformatted my desktop. I did not touch the wires connecting me to the internet. The reformatting goes well - no problems.

For some reason, my laptop can connect, wirelessly, to the linksys router, to the internet. Flawlessly. Its the desktop im worried about.

The desktop cant connect to the internet. i have downloaded and installed all the drivers i could find, all yielding to that infamous the page cannot be displayed notice.

The only abnormality that I can notice is in the network connections screen on the desktop... I only see one connection - the "1394 connection." Before I reformatted, there were atleast three, maximum five.

Im not too sure whats going on here, this needs to get fixed ASAP - i do alot of important work on my desktop...

Thanks guys :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a software CD for the network adapter

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
In my case, what would be the network adapter? If it is the WRT54G, I tried installing the driver for it, but it says I cant find an internet connection.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager

Click the + for network adapters, is there anything other than the 1394 adapter listed

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

In my case, what would be the network adapter? If it is the WRT54G, I tried installing the driver for it, but it says I cant find an internet connection.

Nope.g

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Use the laptop to download this to install on the desktop

Download and install Everest Home Edition

Run the programme, click + next to computer then summary

Look on the right for network / network adapter

You could also look at device manager on the laptop in the hope the network adapter is the same

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
ok, in the process of doing it

Edited by RustedBass, 05 April 2007 - 11:14 PM.

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I downloaded it, installed it on the desktop, navigated to computer, and then summary. On the right, i saw one catagory titled network... under that catagory, it only listed "Modem." What now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What has the laptop got in device manager

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I hardly doubt that they will be the same, as this laptop is to only stay at my work... but...

This has Broadcam NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

and

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Advertisements

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
AH HA! In that programme you told me to install, I can see (in a different place than you directed me to) that i have a

Intel 82544XT PRO/1000 MT Desktop Adapter

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have a motherboard CD then it could be on that, if not we can look for a download

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i dont have a mother board CD - dell did a less than satisfactory job in providing me with the essential things... they didnt give me a motherboard CD only a reinstallation CD.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Dell have downloads for most things which is probably why they don't send utility CD's, which is fine if you can connect to the internet :whistling:

Which make and model Dell?

Orbison

Orbison

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
i have a Dell XPS Gen2 running XPHome SP 1a

Was an amazing comp, back in the day -.-