Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't boot from XP Home CD, Can't boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply

C00P88

C00P88

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,

I was instructed by a tech with Zonelabs to boot into safe mode and delete a file (I couldn't log into websites with ZoneAlarm 7.0 running). When I reboot, I can usually get to the screen where you can select safe mode, but the "start windows normally" is highlighted by default. I cannot select safe mode AT ALL. I've tried the arrow keys, the arrow keys on the keypad, and the tab key. My computer doesn't respond, and windows loads up normally.

After about 4 hours I decided to just start over. So I backed up the few files I needed, and tried to just re-install windows (reformatting the hard drive). Now I cannot boot from the XP Home CD. When the option comes up to "press any key to boot from CD", the computer doesn't respond, and it boots up normally.

I've tried this with a regular keyboard plugged into the ps2 connection, same keyboard with a usb adapter, and a wireless usb keyboard.

I even tried clearing the CMOS, then re-setting the boot order so that the CDROM would boot first. I know I have to use the CDROM with the IDE connection, as the 2nd CDROM with the SATA connection doesn't really work until after windows is running. I'm really baffled here. Both keyboards work perfectly on my laptop, even as I type this.

Any reasonable suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It might be that your cd drive is faulty or not recognized in the BIOS. Enter BIOS to check whether you can Identify it among the IDE drives. It's also possible that your installation cd is faulty. Try on another computer.

I didn't understand the paragraph about IDE and SATA drives. If you suspect any problem there and if the IDE is your system disk disconnect the SATA temporarilly and see if it makes any diffrence.

Another thing that I am not sure I understood is whether the computer is operable in normal mode or not. Is it only when you try safe mode that the keyboard doesn't responde?

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've tried disconnecting both drives. The SATA cdrom drive does not show up in the BIOS, when it is the only drive connected. So I tried rebooting with only the IDE cdrom, and it does show up in the BIOS, and I recieve the option to boot from CD. It's just that when I try to "press any key", the PC doesn't respond.

Both keyboards work fine after windows is running. The problem is BEFORE windows loads, when trying to boot from the CD or enter safe mode. I am unable to perform either.

The installation disk seems to come up fine, after windows is running. But re-installing windows from there doesn't give an option to re-format the hard drive.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you remember what file you were asked to delete by ZoneLab?

Run the computer in normal mode, enter the xp installation disk into the IDE drive. Click start > run. Type sfc /scannow. A dialog box will show up and a process of checking and repairing system files will start. When it ends the dialog box just disappears. Please report if it helped.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My Zonelabs instructions say to delete the Internet Logs Folder, but I never got into safe mode to do so.

I will follow your instructions tonight after work, thanks.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I ran the sfc /scannow. I am still unable to get into safe mode, or boot from the installation CD.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Here is a question that might help us out.

When you are running windows does your system run slow?

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
No, not at all. The only reason I was trying to access safe mode was to delete a file because of a Zonealarm issue not letting me log into websites. Everything else was fine. Currently, I have to connect the wired keyboard via a usb adapter (no response using ps2 connection) to enter the system bios during boot up, but the system simply won't respond when I try pressing F8 to enter safe mode, or try to boot from the installation disk. After windows loads, everything runs normally, except for said issue with ZoneAlarm.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Can you get into the BIOS.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Yep. I also made sure that the CDrom shows up under the drives(in the Bios), and set it to the first boot device. When I reboot, the screen shows a line that says "press any key to boot from CD" but nothing happens when I do.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
What that means is that you can

A use your keyboard outside of windows
B your cdrom is working.

Have you tested your keyboard completely making sure all the keys work

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If I open up word, I can type with no problems. I don't understand how I can get into Bios but the PC won't respond when I try to get into safemode, or boot from the CD. At the minimum, I should at least be able to boot from the CD by pressing the space bar or any letter when prompted, but there is no response.

Edited by C00P88, 07 April 2007 - 01:54 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You only have a specific amount of time to hit any key when it prompts.
Can you use the up and down arrow keys in the advanced boot menu.

C00P88

C00P88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
advanced boot menu? I can navigate the bois normally using arrow keys.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
The advanced boot menu is the menu you get when Tapping F8