Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Relocating/Migrating Progs+Data

• Please log in to reply

R 707

R 707

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have acquired a new Lenovo X60 ThinkPad, and have the daunting task to get all the information (30GB) from my old T23 onto the new machine. The RELOCATOR program by ALOHABOB/EISENWORLD is no longer available (Thanks MS!!) Both machines use XP-SP2.
Any good suggestion is welcome! Thanks+Greetings from the Land of OZ(tralia)

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi R 707. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

I think your best bet is to install your software on the new machine.

Then to transfer data from the old to the new computer, you can connect the them either by
1) direct cable,
2) network/router, or
3a) by taking the hard drive out of the old computer and installing it in the new one as a secondary drive or
3b) in a USB external hard drive enclosure.

The method you choose depends on your plans for the old computer. You'll also need to be aware that you may have security/user rights issues between your User account on the new computer and your User account on the old computer. It may require changing ownership of your Documents and Settings folder on the old hard drive. Instructions can be provided on request :whistling:

If you need additional information on any of this, please post back.

Good luck!

R 707

R 707

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi LindaGail,

Thanks for your prompt reply! Yeah, I was fearing, there was no easy way! Re-installing a myriad of programs and then getting them all set up again will be tedious, to say the least. Thanks for the tips and Kind regards!