Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Application loading ... but runs quickly

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I've seen many many threads/entries about slow PC/Internet and this one has probably been answered and I missed it. Sorry

The loading of various applications (Firefox, MS WORD, etc) take much longer to load than others (especially Firefox ... I'm also asking question in Firefox forum). Now, I'm not talking minutes ... more like 20 to 30 second .... but it's frustrating when I click on a link in email and wait (not knowing if anything is happening).

I regularly scan with NAV, spybot, and ad-aware... also clean/defrag my C:

Have 2 physical hard drives (6 logicals) and try to limit what goes on my C: drive (which only has 1 gb free - out of 20 ... that's where my WIN and DOCUMENTS folders are). My virtual drive is also there ... would it be better to put the virtual space on my D:, E:,F:.G:, or H: ? (Some of them have 15-17 gb free.)

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
How much memory do you have, and when is the last time you cleared out the browser cache?

As for Word, check this out....

If Word is running at the moment, make sure you're not loading an absurd number of global templates and add-ins. Choose Tools Templates and Add-Ins to display the Templates and Add-ins dialog box (see Figure 1-5). In the "Global templates and add-ins" area, uncheck the boxes for any global templates or add-ins you want to unload. Alternatively, select a global template or add-in and click the Remove button to remove it from the list. Make sure you click each template or add-in in turn and look at the "Full path" readout at the bottom of the Templates tab. If the template or add-in is in your Word Startup folder, you must remove it manually so that Word doesn't load it automatically when you restart the program. Choose Start Run, type %userprofile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup, and press Enter to open a Windows Explorer window to your Word Startup folder. Move each template or add-in that you don't want Word to load automatically to another folder.

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

How much memory do you have, and when is the last time you cleared out the browser cache?

As for Word, check this out....

If Word is running at the moment, make sure you're not loading an absurd number of global templates and add-ins. Choose Tools Templates and Add-Ins to display the Templates and Add-ins dialog box (see Figure 1-5). ...

Have 512M ... right now am using 360M ... CPU Usage is basically 2% - 17% ... while I watched went to 17% then 84% then 100% for a sec then back to 2% once but not again. Does WIN keep a graph of 'usage'?

AND, clean out browser almost every night when shut down (use CClearner v. 1.38.485).

I have X1 installed (the Yahoo search appl) and I think that's what was running when got the 100% ... but it doesn't 'index' continually and Firefox and WORD ALWAYS seem to load slowly.

I'll check out templs & add-ons ... but don't knowingly use any.

BTW - thanks for the reply.