Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
the tv can be found http://www.sony.co.u...gory=TVP LCD TV" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">here
but the resolution of the tv is 1366x768. The computer this will be running on is the spec in my signature, it does run HD i tried it off the Sky website.

curently i have a 2.1 "top of the range" sound system on my tv/monitor.

i thikn i am best waiting for that HDMI to come out, that way it'll save me cables and i get the best quality, i might have to save up for it though! i weren't overly impressed with the first benchmarks,

thanks again!

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Thats what they have been saying in their statments yet leaked pictures of the cards continue to only have 2xDVI.
Here's one of the sites.....HD 2900XT pricutres
I'm thinking it might only be HD 2900XTX that has the sounds card, it'll be released after the 8900series is launched.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 April 2007 - 03:34 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I wouldn't bother getting an LCD TV with such a low resolution especially a sony they are nice TVs if you have extra cash around but you can get better for less than any sony if you shop around, when i looked for a second monitor/tv it was allot cheaper to get a monitor and a TV card you get a better visual quality and resolution for much less my 22" was only 235 quid its better than any tv i could find and a hauppage USB analogue/digital tuner. It was much cheaper option my parent bought a 23" LCD tv at the same time that was 720p and its was almost 3 times more than my 22 and it had a lower resolution and response time, in general TVs make very poor monitors because of the low response times and resolution.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
They are getting better....slowly. You are beginning to find TV's with 4ms response time, which depending on how they measure it, it's pretty good. One thing TV's usually have going for them is that they generally have a much higher contrast rating then what you'd find on the typical monitor, which could be good for people who are making graphics.
But as you have already said monitors are better, but you need better graphics cards to run the higher resolutions they have to offer. Sure you could turn the resolution down, but now whats the fun in that? :whistling:

But as warriorscot has already mentioned, when you posted this you have confirmed my fears, its not as good as a monitor, for the exact reasons already mentioned, response times and especially resolution.

You can currently buy monitor which will have HDMI hock up, but their competitor and possibly successor is being released at the end of may. Can't remember whats it's called but it has higher bandwidth and some rumors have said that upcoming graphics cards will support it, but I don't think it'll be overly successful. Just look at firewire and USB 2.0, firewire is better but you rarely see it anymore because few people have the ports to run devices that have the hook up for fail to realize the advantages of it if they do have it.

James

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
infact i am currently running my PC through a budget LCD tv, and i have never had any problems, it is actually a really poor spec, the sony is much better, i also want the tv for when i get my own place (end of this year). i'm trying to kill two birds with one stone! i was looking at the 20" version.

my next problem is that i personnally have never got on with tv cards. i don't like their software and generally how they look on screen! thats why i have opted for the TV with PiP! i never use my monitors set to such hih resolutions anyway, i am currently on a 26" Monitor at work (used for structural analysis models) and i am running at 1280*960.

buw with regards to the graphics card, if i do go with the tv (the sony or better) then i will definatly look into getting a top graphics card to suit!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
With a TV, you don't need a really high end TV. Just be sure it has a S-video port, or else the TV has a DVI port, it seems to becoming more and more commun now.

I'm not 100% on this one, maybe Warriorscot can clear this up, but I'm pretty sure that there are issues with PVR's and vista, because it's so infected I believe its not possible to have a PVR (stands for Personal Video Recorder or what you called TV card). You might want to look at the all in wonder cards, it's probably exactly what you want, though I know little about them because I have never considered hooking up a TV to my computer.

James

Edited by james_8970, 19 April 2007 - 08:53 PM.

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Thanks, i think i will still need to stick with a tv with a DVI input or S-Video, but i will shop around abit more first.

i've put off buying a graphics card until the DX10 cards come out, i might even wait for the second generation cards, and upgrade my MoBo and CPU first!

thanks again

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
DX10 is currently out, while AMD/ATI's first generation of DX10 graphics cards are coming out in may they are considered to be second generation. They have undergone several delays, updated everything, and what really makes them special are the unified shader unites and con processes 5 times per cycle, Nvidia's card one processes 1 time per cycle. They will be worth looking at, extremly affordable (the HD 2900XT beats the Geforce 8800GTX by a far amont and has been said by AMD to be around 400$, the 8800GTX is currently hovering around the 550$ mark) and probably great performers, but we'll have to wait till the 23rd to see some benchmarks.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 April 2007 - 11:02 AM.