Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Corrupt?

• Please log in to reply

sine

sine

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So I came back from school and my mom presents me with her computer which is completely shot. Can't start it in safe mode (gets stopped at muf.sys then restarts), and I can't start it regularily (will see the windows xp scroll bar then halfway through I see a flash of a blue screen and the entire computer just restarts. Any ideas?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

(gets stopped at muf.sys then restarts),

is that muf.sys or mup.sys (probably mup)?

could you give us some system specs?
does it have onboard graphics?
does it have an expansion type graphics card? (pci, pcie, agp?)
when you press f8 to get to safe mode...do you see an option to "enable vga mode"?

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Yeah it is mup.

I use an AGP graphics card in it. There is no option in safe mode to start up in AGP mode because I can't even get to the menu before it crashes.

System specs: 1 GB single stick of DDR2 667
80 Gig hard drive
Intel 3.0 Ghz or so processor
ASUS Motherboard

System was running fine for around 4 months then this suddenly happened. d

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so no onboard graphics as well as the add on one right?

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Nope, only video card is from the addon

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you have your XP disk or just system recovery disks?

sine

sine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I didn't at the time, I was hoping there was another alternative solution but I will repair it next time I go home with my personal disks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well if you were able to get into safe mode of some kind...you could uninstall the graphics card drivers and update them (when safemode hangs on mup.sys it's usually the next driver that's failing...which is your video driver) which might solve the problem...my next suggestion was going to be to do a repair installation of windows which might drop the current video driver and give you a chance to install a new one

jomax

jomax

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Do you know what the next driver would be after mup.sys?? If you do, then you could help me with a similar problem.
Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the next driver after mup.sys i USUALLY your graphics driver (possibly nv4disp.dll or something to that effect?) i'm not 100% sure on the exact driver but i know for a fact that 9 out 0f 10 it's your video card driver...also...jomax....start a new thread about your own problem don't just post in someone elses