Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Application Error - cmd.exe

• Please log in to reply

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
This is a minor bug, but I have been unable to find a fix for it and it IRRITATES me.

I get this error every time I shut down the computer (Alienware Area-51 m-5700, Intel Celeron-M 1.5G, 1G RAM, Windows XP Home), and -only- when I shut down.

The error code is 0xc0000142.

After a couple of seconds the computer "doinks" and shuts down anyway. Like I said, minor. But annoying.

I have a suspicion it has something to do with my security suite (Zone Alarm Pro). Already had to revert to v. 6.5 from v. 7 due to problems with the new update (another story for another time), and the issue has been going on for a while... I just finally got worked up enough to bring it here.

Any help sincerely appreciated in advance!

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Just a simple test, shut down ZA completely before you shut down the computer and see if the problem disappears.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
(Smacking forehead) Will try that and advise the result.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
OK, applied "Shut down Zone Alarm Security Suite" prior to turning off the notebook, received same error. So maybe it's not to blame.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The error code you gave means : "Application failed to initialize properly"

So therefore, an instance of CMD.exe tries to load at shutdown and fails. CMD.exe is Windows XP's version of MS-DOS, and many programs use it to execute background tasks. This may be something which can be dealt with via registry hacks, but I'm not entirely sure. I'll get back to you on that.

In the meantime, try going into task manager before you shutdown and end any running cmd.exe processes (if there are any), then shutdown.

Edited by stettybet0, 07 April 2007 - 05:27 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
This could be caused by a malware application that is being interrupted at shutdown. I suggest following the steps in the first link then see if your PC shuts down properly. If not post the HJT log as outlined in the second link.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

If you are deemed clean post back in this thread so we can further troubleshoot the problem.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

In the meantime, try going into task manager before you shutdown and end any running cmd.exe processes (if there are any), then shutdown.

There are no running cmd.exe processes.

Another suggestion is that I have have a malware problem. I hope not; just received help here recently to get cleaned and have been very careful (even moreso than usual) since. But will post the HJT logs (probably in the AM) as requested.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I posted this in the Malware forum with scan results (negative) and HJT logs on 08 April 2007. I haven't received a reply to that posting -- also posted in the "waiting room" on 15 April, no reply to that either.

Maybe that's an indicator that my system is (as I hoped) clean, and this is, in fact, just a bug.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I am game. Thanks in advance!

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Looking at your log I noticed that you had Windows Blinds installed. It has been known to cause problems.

I also noticed you had Indexing enabled. Try stopping then setting the Indexing Service to Disabled in Services. Reboot then see if you have problems shutting down.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Went to Services as you indicated, but Indexing was already disabled.

I have been using Windows Blinds (as Alien GUIse, a theme manager) since purchase of the notebook, so I don't THINK that's the problem... It serves no real useful purpose, but it does give the interface a cool look and I have plenty of horsepower to play with.

Still, will consider removing it just for the sake of troubleshooting and report the result if I do so.

Advertisements

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
As an additional note, machine has been vetted and verified "malware free":

http://www.geekstogo...mp;#entry956114

My assistant there, the very capable and pleasant-to-deal-with Technical_1 (thanks, Scott!), suggested coming back here and soliciting a software/OS expert for support.

Still debating about uninstalling the AlienGUIse theme manager. Since it has been in use since purchase of the machine (about a year ago) and the problem only started about 3 months ago, I have my doubts that there is a causal relationship there. (Am reminded of a poster I saw once: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying relationships is YOU. But I digress).

Anyway, beaucoups logs of running processes etc. are posted in the linked thread above. Any expert thoughts about the bug behind that darned "doink" are sincerely appreciated.

Edited by antisocialbutterfly, 23 April 2007 - 11:34 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Is there a file name associated with 0xc0000142?

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Is there a file name associated with 0xc0000142?

Only "cmd.exe", it says the application failed to open normally and the error code is...

Again, only does this at power-down (or re-boot).

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Could be cmd.exe became corrupted or an update conflict with a program. Have you tried Last known good configuration in the boot menu (F8) or tried a System Restore point previous to the install of ZA7?

Edited by Whiskeyman, 24 April 2007 - 12:50 PM.

antisocialbutterfly

antisocialbutterfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Could not do either of those options due to a slight malware infection I had that occurred after this issue started. (Got a little careless with something I clicked "yes" to. Live and learn.)

I am going to try uninstalling the AlienGuise (Windows Blinds) theme manager later today, after I'm through using the machine for work, for the sake of honest troubleshooting. Will report the result of that this evening or tomorrow AM.

Thanks for the patience.