Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Rebuilding - just need mobo

• Please log in to reply

artificial

artificial

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello. I previously had a problem with my old desktop, and I have come to the conclusion that it is the motherboard and CPU =\ Its old - Socket A (ftw=]). Anyways, I'd be really grateful if some would help me pick a new motherboard that comes with a CPU (as they seem to be cheaper).

I was looking at this combination ( or this combo) and was wondering if it would work with my current [not so old, rarely used] components. It needs to fit in my current of two cases, but first one preferable. List is:

Maxtor 200GB HDD [Link]
AOpen HQ45A Case [Link]
PS 250W

Everything else is standard ... Ethernet card (Even though I have a wireless card, which I plan on putting in), Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Audio card.

Please, can someone help me find a GOOD combination of motherboard + cpu (I have an AGP card, but from my limited understanding, the above comes with a PCI video card) + card if PCI... Newegg doesnt have to be used, but they have to be able ship to Florida.

Thanks to anyone.

Edited by artificial, 06 April 2007 - 04:31 PM.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sempron and Pentium Ds aern't very good processors. The biostar MOBO that comes with that first one i am sure is crap. Buying seperate is a bit cheaper but it might not be your best bet. Here is my suggestion for around the price of those other two: CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103747 MOBO: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128034. Total price of about $180, about $30 more than your higher price pick, but in my opinion is completly crushing those combos. AGP is going out of style fast so you will prolly have a bit of trouble finding a good AGP board that is compatable with a new CPU.

250 watts for a PSU is very low. I would suggest atleast 400w, 550w if you plan on putting in a graphics card to play games. Don't get a cheap power supply, it puts your entire system at risk.

EDIT: Also don't forget about RAM when you are pricing your system.

Edited by Titan8990, 06 April 2007 - 06:27 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
As titan has already mentioned AGP is an outdated technology that just won't die, but its come to the end and the future doesn't look bright. If you choose a motherboard with AGP graphics, then you'll be stuck with a lower end motherboard with no future. Since your build is quite a bit old I'd say you don't game and just use your computer for Internet and word documents, I'm only assuming, is this true? If this is the case, most motherboard come with additional feature, whether you want them or not. Since your still on socket A, the onboard (another term for built in) audio card will probably be better then the ones you currently hold. Also, even on a barebones computer 250w is cutting it close, I'm recommend buying a PSU. I'd never suggest less then 350w even if you never upgrade, no less then 550w is recommended though. Also you no longer need ethernet cards, they are now built into motherboards as well. You'll probably need to buy a grphics card, but they are only cost 50$.

While I don't agree with the penium D's that much, that build will alow you to use your graphics card, but you will still need to buy memory thus reducing costs. But if you do choose this route, this motherboard will not give you a future to upgrade on as the processor thats already in there is as good as it can get. Also there are many heat related problems with that processor. Just out of curiousity though, what do you use your computer for?

Also there are supposed to be price cuts on AMD's side tomorrow(the 9th), wait 1 week afterwards for the market to settle down and you'll find better processors at lower prices. You'll probably only save 10-20$ on the budget end that your looking at, but hey it pays for shipping. :whistling:

James

Edit: I'm going to do a little looking around tomorrow if I have a chance and find a deal. The prices are about to drop and I think I'll find a great AMD buy that will slaughter the Pentium D's performance at the same price.

Edited by james_8970, 08 April 2007 - 04:51 PM.