Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning Issue

• Please log in to reply

ditzy

ditzy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a few problems and I think they are all related.
- My PC wont allow me to burn anything onto CD
- Nero (7.0) wont start up at all
- Windows media player wont burn
- When I attempt to simply copy/paste things onto CD, I get the error message "Cannot Complete the Writing CD Wizard"

My CD drive is fine; it still reads dics. My anti-virus and other system scans have found nothing wrong.

I have had this problem a few times before and in the past have solved it by reformatting my PC.

Can anyone shed any light?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

ditzy

ditzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that. I can now burn discs using CDBurnerXP Pro.
But have you any ideas what could be wrong with the rest of my PC? Would rather try and solve the problem before taking drastic action and re-formatting the whole thing.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I would make a note of the serial number for Nero 7 and uninstall then re-install it

Using the Nero Clean Tool

There are clean tools available for Nero 6 and 7 but before you use them, make sure you have made a note of the serial number

Nero release updated versions, however, installing them usually involves downloading the complete package, so it can be as well to completely remove the current installation and clean install Nero

Generally, you should check the release notes for any update to see whether they include any changes which will be of use to you. If the version you have installed runs well and does everything you need, then leave things as they are.

If you decide to update Nero, download the version you need to your hard drive before removing the current installation

Click this to download versions 3 through 6 of Nero

Click this to download all versions of Nero 7

Click This for Nero 6 Clean Tool

Click This for Nero 7 Clean Tool

Run the tool and select clean all

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit, click select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete

Reboot the PC

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Click start, all programs, accessories, system tools to run disc defragmenter

Install Nero

Reboot the PC

ditzy

ditzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ive already tried to delete and reinstall Nero, but the same problem keeps happening.
I don't think it is an isolated Nero problem as my Windows Media Player and general Windows copy/paste onto disc doesn't work either.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Download and install Tune Up 2007 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this

Check the anti virus is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

ditzy

ditzy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for that Keith. But it only helped to speed up my PC. Its running a lot faster now.
I do think this is some sort of virus that won't let me bakup data on my PC to an external device (e.g. CD or to USB pen/flash drive). I've just tried to upload some muisc on to my mp3, but with no success.
It seems like CDBurnerXP Pro is the only exception.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Please follow the procedures outlined here: Malware Removal Guide

You will need a PC which can connect to the internet

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum