Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry problems, please help

• Please log in to reply

saraface

saraface

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
My computer has been running insanely slow lately. I downloaded and ran the trial version of Registry Mechanic and it came up with 2478 problems!! Unfortunately, I cannot afford to pay the $30 to buy the full version and have it fixed. I tried running windows repair from the disk and it asked for an administrator password, which if I had, I have now lost.
I have already backed up everything on my pc that is of importance to me and I can reformat if I must but I really don't want to take it that far. How can I fix my registry and help my computer to boot up and run faster than it is now?

side note: I've also tried running defrag and it locks up in the middle of the process. something is seriously wrong, here. Please help!

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The most common error with defrag is a disc that has less than 15% free space. Did you get an error message? Is your disc vey full? My computer>Local disc C>Rt. click>Properties.

Congratulations on your backup! You are well ahead of the curve on that. It is possible that there is, in fact, no password, and that simply clicking OK, or Continue/next would get you in to Repair. Is it a Repair installation that you attempted, or were you trying to use the Recovery console? From what you have described, I'm not sure you need to "Repair" anything anyway.

Many folks think that the problems they are experiencing are more serious than they turn out to be. Why not post back with as many details about your system--both hardware and software as you can, and include as many specific details about your experience of "slowness" as you can remember. Please do not post a HiJackThis log in this section of the forum.

As far as your 2478 Registry "Problems" go, please bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of these "problems/errors" are simply invalid entries which no longer function. I admit that that seems a high number, but just removing the invalid entries will not "fix" anything except free up a little space. When there are real Registry problems it is because of an improperly configured, but valid entry that is causing improper function. That requires Registry "editing," something for which almost all of us require experienced help. Such help is available if and when it is determined that it is required, but for now I suggest you relax about the Registy, post back with more details, and the Geeks to Go staff and members will help you get your system back to normal.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts
Hi Saraface
In my signature the is a link to tuneup trial please download.
Go to the second tab and run Disk cleaner & registry cleaner.
Then go to the optimize tab and run registry defrag.
Cheers
Peterm

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If I may add to doc: (for all the programs mentioned there are links in my signature).

1: Delete from your computer any documents and remove programs that you do not need anymore.

2: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Choose selective startup. Go to the startup tab and uncheck everything which is not essential for running in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting you will get a message that should be checked.

3: Download and run ccleaner. Run the "cleaner" and "issues" options a number of time until there is nothing left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "issues") when prompted to do so.

4: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. My personal choices are Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Anti-Spyware. For an antivirus I prefer Avast. Run full scans, preferably in safe mode. It may take a while so be patient. Run them one after the other, not together at the same time.

5: Run defrag. If it is not functioning well run a chkdsk and retry defrag. To run chkdsk: My computer > right-click your system drive (probably c:) > properties > tools > error checking > check now. Check the two boxes and start the process. When finished, repeat for other local drives if you have any.

6: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags ayatem and page files which are not defragged by "ordinary" defraggers. You can read about what it does in the link from which you download the program. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

If that sounds a lot, well it is, but this is a systematic cleanup. If after that your computer is still slow we'll continue from this point.