Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

So SLOW!

• Please log in to reply

boxdoc2

boxdoc2

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK, so anytime I try to do more than a couple of things on my Dell, it just seems like it's bogged down to no end! If I ctl/alt/del, I see that there are a lot of processes running. But I don't know which ones to shut down! Maybe it's not that. Thoughts? I've done the Spyware removal tools.

Here's the basics of what I've got:

Dell Dimension 8200
Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz
256 MB of RAM

Running Windows XP Home Edition w/Service Pack 2

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
There can be many reasons why a computer is "slow." Very often it is because there are too many active background processes running, consuming resources that are not available to your chosen application. To see what I have learned about controlling background/startup processes with URLs of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ To visit the "links," copy and paste to your browser address bar in a new tab. If after you have your processes under control, a problem remains, there are further avenues to investigate.

Edited by 1101doc, 06 April 2007 - 09:56 PM.

flowergirl

flowergirl

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Your Internet problem sounds like mine!

Do you have dial up or high speed or broadband?

What is your line speed when you run your curser over
the double computers in the bottom right hand corner?

The only thing I have running is Advast, Weatherbug and I
guess a desktop background. (My digital pictures...if that counts.)

We can read each other's threads for advice! :whistling:

Janie

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To add to doc: The memory of your computer, at 256 MB, is very small. I suggest that you consider at least doubling it up.

boxdoc2

boxdoc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

To add to doc: The memory of your computer, at 256 MB, is very small. I suggest that you consider at least doubling it up.

I was wondering about that. Can you buy any memory for a Dell? Or do I have to buy through Dell?

Flowergirl: My internet is through a cable modem and it's actually pretty quick. My problem has been when I have more than one program running.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I'm not sure if dell sells memory or not but I wouldn't suggest it. You can see what RAM is compatable with your computer here: http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1102365. Your computer is compatable with pc800 RDRAM. This will make things a little difficult.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Yes Dell does sell memory and sence your memory is pc800 RDRAM (non ECC) compatable here is the link

http://search.dell.c...s=dhs&...&y=15"

also you can get any pc800 RDRAM (non ECC) memory from any computer store and it would work.

[edit] added information on where you can get memory

Edited by tuxmaster, 07 April 2007 - 03:55 PM.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

I was wondering about that. Can you buy any memory for a Dell? Or do I have to buy through Dell?

TigerDirect is a good source for memory. Used them for years.

Ron

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes! More Ram is great! I recently upped my system and it helped a lot. I used Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/
They have scanner that will tell you what is compatible with your board,( uses IE) or you can use your system specs to do the same manually. I used the latter method, got the sticks from them and everything was textbook. It is not necessary to commit to buy from Crucial to make use of their analysis tool. But. If all you do is add RAM without gaining control over your system through understanding your processes, the speed you gain will be offset by CPU drain. Use the resources to be discovered through my Vox to really become your system "Administrator." Feel free to bring particular questions here for help with issues you discover along the way. After taking these early steps, you will be able to better understand and apply even more advanced tips and tweaks. Let us know how things are progressing for you.

boxdoc2

boxdoc2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks everyone! I'll start by reading up on 1101doc's Vox and then up the memory. I'll let you know how it goes!