Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removing a double boot - WinXP Pro and Win2000 on C

• Please log in to reply

laceay

laceay

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello:

I am using a computer that was gifted to me with the Win2000 OS and later I was gifted with the WinXP Pro SP2 OS.

It is a Dell PIII (desktop) with a 12.7 GB HD. I have taken on several freelance writing gigs and I now need extra HD

space, but I don't need two (2) operating systems, especially since they occupy the same drive ("C").

How do I remove the Win2000 OS, so that I can gain some more space on the "C" drive that is being occupied by the

W2K OS? I eventually will buy an extended-range external HD, but for now I could use the space I already have by

vacating the W2K OS!

I have never had any problems, crashes, or spyware/malware issues, so if the removal of the the W2K OS involves

editing the registry or partitioning the HD, please give me explicit instructions! My computer is my livelihood and I

cannot afford to miss any deadlines on my assignments.

THANK YOU! :whistling:

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Removing double installation end up with troubles sometimes. Since you emphesize the importance of the computer I don't think I would do that. The other options available besides removing win 2000:

1: Do nothing. The safest approach. Try to clear unnecessary documents to free some space.
2: Backup valuable data and clear format the disk. Re-install xp. Take into consideration that you may have to reinstall some drivers if these are not included in windows xp. You will also have to reinstall all applications so make sure that you have those.
3: Consider buying the storage device earlier, if you can. Your present disk is so small and the space gained by removing win 2000 so limited compared to modern disks that even if you remove win 2000 it will fill up pretty soon.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Something not mentioned or at least needs a bit of clalification, is both OSes on the same disk partition, if not, which one is on the first partition? I agree with the Skeptics advice that you try to get a larger drive now, one related question is do you have space for another drive in your machine, or will it need to be external. I have seen large drives on sale for as little as $80 for external and and less for internal.