Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Too much running in background, makes startup slow

• Please log in to reply

dln159

dln159

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi,

I have too much going on when I start up my computer. Last night it took over 5 minutes to boot. I definitely would like to stop Mavis Beacon and Adobe Photophop downloader from running in the background. I cannot delete them and reinstall b/c I do not have the installation disks with me. (Moved and they are in storage.)

I would like to get rid of MSN messenger forever. How do you delete it?

I'm not sure what else is running that is unnecessary. Can you please tell me how to check?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Malcolm59uk

Malcolm59uk

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Click on Start>run type in msconfig then to startup tab along the top.
Remove ticks of programs you don't want to start at boot time.
Then click Apply then OK
Reboot - tick in box of Configuration Utility.
See how this goes - You can always put ticks back if needs be.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
For what I have learned about controlling background/startup processes, with URLs of useful tools and informational sites, see my Vox: http://doc1101.vox.com/ To visit the "links," copy and paste to your browser address bar in a new tab. To remove Messenger, see Doug Knox: http://www.dougknox....nger_remove.htm

dln159

dln159

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks. I used sys config to remove a few things from startup and it does seem to be starting up a lot faster. How nice not to see that irritating MSN Messenger icon in my tray. Adobe Photoshop Downloader still seems to be starting up, so I'll revisit sysconfig after typing this. The information listed in the llinks in the other reply -- thanks for the info. It's a lot to take in, so I think I'll revisit the links this weekend when I have time to think. Thanks for your help!