Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp shutdown automatically

• Please log in to reply

hamlet1497

hamlet1497

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi all:

i got problem with my system(IBM ThinkPad A21m) which causes it to automatically shutdown while running any applications. i did all the necessary solutions from the scratch eg: reformatting, upgrading all the necessary updates and installing different os(win2k and winxp) but the issue was still there. below are the details of my system:

- intel p3 processor
- ati rage mobility video card
- crystal soundfusion sound card
- lucent win modem(bulit in)
- xircom cardbus ethernet 100+ modem56

hoping somebody can assist and guide me in eliminating the issue. thank you very much and more power!

Advertisements

CleverStupidity

CleverStupidity

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I'd tell you to format, but seeing as how you've done that already, I'm thinking it's bad hardware. Maybe you've got a screwed up hard drive -- or have you replaced that already?

If not, maybe you could try experimenting with a small, CHEAP hard drive to see if that's the problem. If so, we've got a successful diagnosis, but if not, I don't know what to tell you...

By the way, Windows has the tendency to be ignorant. THIS is what I seek refuge in. Good luck, my friend.

hamlet1497

hamlet1497

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi clev,

thanks for the feedback and i'll try it if it will resolve the issue.. one more thing, i already got two hd but same thing happpened.. i am still hoping that somebody will share some of their technical knowledge..

n8dagr8

n8dagr8

• Pip
  • 1 posts
do you get the blue screen when it restarts (with lots of white typing)? phsyical memory dump?

cozmicrain

cozmicrain

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Not sure what your issue is. What applications are you using when it shuts down?

The reason I ask this is because I had the same issue awhile back, turns out it was my vidio card which was at the time an ATI 9200SE.
Anytime I ran a graphically intensive game or started PSP or Photo Shop it would just shut down the PC. Instant reboot.

Replaced it with a ATI 9550 and it fixed the problem.

Also a friend of mine said that after the SP2 update for windows she had to upgrade her bios for her motherboard because she was having the same issues. It could simply be driver compatibility somewhere in your system, Sound Vidio Bios any of those. I would check that out first. I am no means an expert, just passing on similar issues with fixes I have seen.
Hope this helps.

CleverStupidity

CleverStupidity

• Pip
  • 4 posts
That's interesting... because I have an ATI Radeon 9200SE right now... 128mb to be exact, and I had a similar problem recently.

When I booted up Win XP Pro, after the WinXP screen, my monitor would go blank, and naively, I thought my computer had powered off! I found out that I needed to change my default monitor and video card settings to the ATI rather than the default motherboard video controller.

Pretty sure this isn't your issue, but I thought I'd bring it up.