Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firefox won't run

• Please log in to reply

Primo_Skillz

Primo_Skillz

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am having problems with my Mozilla Firefox. I double-click the icon and the browser won't open. I try going through the program files and it won't work either. I make sure that it is not already running in the task manager and try again. I tried re-installing the .exe file to see if one of the files were corrupted and after it has finished installing nothing improves. I have already searched the forums and to come to no avail. I was wondering if someone could help me out with this problem because right now I am using Internet Explorer and it sucks.

Thanks for your help. It is appreciated.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Primo_Skillz
You could try uninstalling the whole thing and Downloading it again sometimes it works better the second time around Try the Link below i hope this Helps Good Luck

Link to Download Firefox
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

Primo_Skillz

Primo_Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
cheyenne,

Thank you for the very timely response. I will give that a shot and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: Same thing is happening. I will double-click the icon and I will see the hourglass and then it disappears. Firefox still isn't opening. Do you have any other suggestions?

Edited by Primo_Skillz, 07 April 2007 - 02:29 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you checked to make sure your firewall isn't blocking it?
Johanna

Primo_Skillz

Primo_Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I am not even sure that I have a firewall running.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You have gone into the Control Panel and used the add/remove to uninstall Firefox, rebooted, then you downloaded and double clicked on the exe to install it. It installed properly, but the icon to get to it does not work. When you click to
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe"
nothing happens. Do I have this right so far?

In the Add/Remove section all of the installed software is usually listed. Do you see anything like McAfee, Symantec, CA, anything labeled "security" or another third party software? Do you have the XP firewall turned on? You can check your Security Center or the "Windows Firewall" setting in the Control Panel.

You may want to follow the directions here and post a log if you have no security on your computer, and suspect malware.

Johanna

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Primo_Skillz
If you have No Firewall running and have been on the Internet it is more than lightly that you have some Malware on your System and should as Johanna said go to the Malware Forum and get your System cleaned up and get a Firewall if your not using the Windows Firewall i have put a couple of links in for you to try but only use one at a time i Appreciate you saying Thank you Good Luck

Links for Firewalls

http://filehippo.com...zonealarm_free/

http://www.personalf...nse_registratio

Primo_Skillz

Primo_Skillz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I will choose one of those firewalls and get it set up properly. I must have the Windows XP firewall running, but I just haven't installed a secondary one since I reformatted my disk (virus from Limewire).

However, it seems as though Firefox is working. I am posting using Firefox right now. I went through Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox> Safe Mode and it asked a question about the user profile. It has worked since.

Thanks for your help. If I have any more suspicious malware, I will be sure to post a new topic in the right section. Please close this topic for now.

Thanks,
primo_skillz

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Primo_Skillz
Your Welcome i'm glad it has worked out for you Thanks for letting us know Good Luck

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello. When you run Firefox in Safe Mode it doesn't use any of your Themes or Extensions. So, what could have happened is that one of the Themes or Extensions you had must have had a bug. You did uninstall and reinstall it though, and that would have deleted all your Add-Ons if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that wasn't the problem after all. I was just trying to throw out a theory.