Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I use dual NICs

• Please log in to reply

majackson

majackson

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a motherboard with dual integrated network cards (I believe the MBO is a MSI Neo4 Platinum). I have a ethernet cable connected to only one of the NICs. My question is, how do I take advantage of two NICs? I have a cable connections that runs about 3200 kb/s download.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello majackson and welcome to G2G,

What are you wanting to do with the two NIC's.

majackson

majackson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Actually, I have no idea because I don't know what potential capabilities that it gives me. About the only thing I am currently doing that may benefit is that I run a program called Metastock that manipulates a continual flow of stockmarket data and converts it into graphic displays. At the same time I run a java based program that displays data and allows me to tade if I chose to so. When following certain equities the data flow can be pretty intense. I don't know if a single NIC could be having difficulty uploading a buy/sell order if it's getting a torrent of downstream data. If I connect the second card would it allow the order execution program a faster route to send data? How does the system know manage the two cards to maximize In/Out?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you're running it as a server one nic is generally used for administrative access and the other for the server, often on older machines the admin acess was dialup, but dialup is dying out. Admin access is kept separate for pretty obvious security reasons.

Edited by Tyger, 08 April 2007 - 05:21 PM.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Most common uses are for a server environment, port mirroring, hardware based firewall/router and load balancing.