Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tuning a system with NVIDIA Control Panel

• Please log in to reply

majackson

majackson

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I built a system about a year ago (AMD X2 +3800, MSI Neo 4 Platinum MOBO, 2GB Corsair Ram, eVGA GeForce 6500 256MB video card). I have the nVIDIA control panel that has a tuning feature - both manual and automatic. I assume that "tuning" is a euphemism for overclocking. I started the coarse tuning procedure and watched it reset the PCI-e bus speed +18% then backed down to +14% and FSB +8% before I developed second thoughts. The CPU temp went from 32C to 43C during that period of time. It had not adjusted any memory timings, GPU clock settings ro GPU memory clock. Are there dangers in using this tuning procedure? Are there any significant improvements likely to be made?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Tuning can be akin to overclocking.
How far you can actually go depends on the bits you've got inside the computer. Sometimes you can go really far, other times its not worth the effort. All forms of overclocking processor-wise when altering the FSB means the processor does more work so it generates more heat so the temperature goes up. 43 degrees isn't hot, anything below 60 is considered normal, anything over 70 is keen an eye on it, anything over 80 is seriously take some action.