Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will Opteron 185 dual core work with MSI K8N Neo2?

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
I'm currently running a MSI K8N Neo 2 board with a 3500+ Winchester processor, 2 gigs pc3200, NVidia 7800 GS AGP, & Windows XP Pro. I really don't want to have to replace my motherboard, processor and memory to upgrade. I did see an Opteron 185 dual core running at 2.6 ghz. Will this processor work with my board and will I see a big difference? Also, I saw an Athlon 64 x2 4600+ that runs at 2.4 ghz. It cost $100.00 more than the Opteron. Which is the better processor and why. Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You have a socket 939 board.
The Operton 185 is a 939 socket.

Opertons are mainly designed for servers, but there's nothing to stop them being used in a home environment, in fact I believe they overclock very nicely depending on the limits of the board you put them in.

According to MSI, your board will support a 4600x2 but not an Opteron 185.

Edited by Neil Jones, 08 April 2007 - 04:00 AM.