Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down sometimes

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
On occasion, especially when I run multiple programs, my computer will shut itself down. It's like it gets a surge of power; it will shut down and then restart.

How can I fix this? Is it something wrong with the RAM? How easy is it to install new RAM or more RAM or whatever I need?

Advertisements

ROHIT_1200

ROHIT_1200

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Its probably a problem with your os since if it had been RAM then it would have slowed down. Installing a new ram is the simplest thing. Just remove the cabinet cover. You will find the ram attached perpendicular to ur motherboard. Its got swithes on the end pull them , then fix in the new ram by pushing it on the slot and the swithes will click. Ur new ram is installed :whistling:

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
How much does a RAm usually cost? What type of RAM should I get for ym Compaq Presario S5200NX?

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
It could be bad RAM. You can test your ram with memtest86:

http://www.snapfiles.../memtest86.html

It could also be a failing power supply or a heat issue. You can pull the sides off and aim a fan at it. If the problem goes away, then we know it's a heat issue.

You can check your voltages with speed fan:

http://www.softpedia.../SpeedFan.shtml

Your bios/setup may also indicate psu voltages. Should be under something like PC Health Status...

Edited by macten, 07 April 2007 - 10:24 PM.