Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Recovery Failure; Drive Crash; No Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

ISMELLADELICIOUSPIANO

ISMELLADELICIOUSPIANO

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i lived in an apartment with really old wiring and it would frequently short out, causing the computer to reboot. after a while, if this happened it would only attempt to reboot, making whirring sounds, until i turned it off and restarted it. one day i came home and turned on my computer one day and it kept freezing after windows had started up and it was loading the background applications. i tried restarting it a couple of times. too quickly in retrospect. until it would no longer load windows, giving an error message along the lines of internal error. i could still access bios and the system recovery option. i was going to wait an try to have the data mined from my hd, but jumped the gun and decided to just wipe it all clean and start again by running a full system recovery. when this happened. all the files that it attempted to copy were corrupt or could not be found. after this was finished. i could no longer access the system recovery screen. i can only access bios. after that screen has passed it just shows a dos screen saying 'no intrl drv'. what happened here and what needs to happen here?

Please do not post your entire topic in capital letters. This implies you are yelling and yelling is NOT something you want to be doing when trying to get free help. I have modified your post into all lowercase letters.

Edited by Fenor, 07 April 2007 - 08:26 PM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looks as if your hard drive was damaged by the unstable electrical system. What I suggest:

1: get yourself a descent ups (uninterrupted power supply) to avoid future serious damage to your hardware.

2: Take the hard disk out and connect it to another computer. Run a checkup of the disk. Go to: My computer > right click the damaged disk icon > properties > tools > error checking > check now > check the two boxes and start. It's quite a long process. Alternatively, if you have or can borrow XP cd you can run chkdsk /r from the recovery console. If you need help with this please let us know.

3: If chkdsk finished successfully install the disk back in your computer and try recovery again.

Please report the reults. Also give some details about the computer and how you make up recovery.