Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless networking via USB?

• Please log in to reply

zatchmo

zatchmo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
here is a topic that was posted in hardware, maybe you guys here know something about this??

Problems with SoftGate 4-in-1 Wireless Networking Solution Options Track this topic
Email this topic
Print this topic
Download this topic
Subscribe to this forum
Switch to: Outline
Standard
Switch to: Linear+

OracleManEXE

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Feb 18 2007, 03:42 PM Post #1

Group: Member
Member No.: 160,283
Operating System:
Windows XP Home SP2 (desktop), Freespire (laptop)

OK, I'm new to networking, but I didn't count on this thing being as big of a problem as this. I ordered this USB router/ap/bride/station device made by SoftGate to act as a router so I could connect my laptop to the Internet anywhere in the house. It has built-in 802.11b networking, BIOS and Freespire both say it's made by Cisco, an Aironet card. Anyway, I follow the instructions provided by SoftGate to install the router and Freespire to link it to a wireless network, but I'm stuck where I started. I check the settings in SoftGate's program, and it says it starts in station mode. What's worse is that XP keeps thinking that the USB device is a receiver instead of a router, so I have a software conflict somewhere, I think.

So I'm asking for help and advice in this issue. Did I make a bad buy? Should I just consider buying a standard wireless router or can I make this work? Please help respond ASAP, please!!!

zatchmo

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts A minute ago Post #2

Geek In Training

Group: GeekU Freshman
Member No.: 198,691
Operating System:
XP

im having the exact same problem!! I was able to get my laptop to recognize the signal, and it retrieved my desktop's ip address, but i got no internet activity out of it. Can someone please help us understand how this USB wireless router works?? Here's a link to what we're talking about...

http://cgi.ebay.com/...2QQcmdZViewItem

Advertisements

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
This is probably a stupid question, but how are you getting the Internet signal into your box? From the modem I mean?

zatchmo

zatchmo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ummm....via ethernet cable to my tower?

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
And you get no Internet connection even from a direct cable connection to the modem?

Please post the results of:

Start > Run > Type CMD, hit enter > Type IPCONFIG

Then post what it says.