Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best CPU

• Please log in to reply

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
Whats the best CPU. around 250. i have an AMD dual core 3800 and im not impressed thinkin of going back to single.

Edited by HamburgrHelpr08, 08 April 2007 - 05:18 PM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
This is absolutely no help for us, around 250? 250 cents, pennys? Don't be lazy and please fully describe what you need help with - we can't help you unless you help us. Please be descriptive.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
GPUs are more important in games than CPUs.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
i am that AMD dual core 3800 rite now and am looking for somthing faster. is this faster and better for games.
http://www.tigerdire...e...&CatId=1970

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
An Intel processor will be completely incompatible with your mobo designed for an AMD processor. Your going to need a whole new computer basically if you want an Intel processor. And Pentium Ds are horrible CPUs anyways.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
ya i no but that came with a new mobo.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, I obviously didn't know that as you didn't tell me. :whistling: And since you also didn't list your other system specs, or the new mobos specs, it's still very likely that your other components will not be compatible with this new mobo. And the Pentium D, like I said, is an awful CPU, but it is worst at gaming.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
here is what i have

AMD 3800 dual core
DFI lanparti nf4 ultra D
ATI Radeon 800Xpro
2gigs of ram

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
hmm... thats a start... now what type of RAM... what interface is your graphics card... what are the specs of the NEW mobo...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Your processor is AMD.
Your motherboard is 939.
Your graphics card will be PCI-Express.
Your memory is DDR.

Therefore if you want to move to Intel, you need new processor, new board and new DDR2 memory (most likely). The only thing you'll be able to take is the graphics card. X800 Pro is considered a low-end card by today's standards, but a lot depends on the type of games you actually play. If all you do is play Solitaire, onboard graphics can do that. If you're into Half Life 2, World of Warcraft and similar things then you may find that upgrading graphics is all you need. But your original comment of "not impressed" with no expansion is of no help whatsoever.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Your processor is AMD.
Your motherboard is 939.
Your graphics card will be PCI-Express.
Your memory is DDR.

Therefore if you want to move to Intel, you need new processor, new board and new DDR2 memory (most likely). The only thing you'll be able to take is the graphics card. X800 Pro is considered a low-end card by today's standards, but a lot depends on the type of games you actually play. If all you do is play Solitaire, onboard graphics can do that. If you're into Half Life 2, World of Warcraft and similar things then you may find that upgrading graphics is all you need. But your original comment of "not impressed" with no expansion is of no help whatsoever.

He won't necessarily need DDR2 memory for a Pentium D, but his memory may not be the right speed DDR. And HL2 and WOW are designed to run on low specs pretty well... so those aren't good examples... But I think this whole discussion is pointless, as a Pentium D would be a step backwards in terms of a gaming CPU. If you want gaming + intel, go with a Core 2 Duo.

Edited by stettybet0, 08 April 2007 - 06:11 PM.

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
dude my graphix gard runs hl2 and css on the highest settings without and problems.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Right, because those are not graphics intensive games... (though I doubt your card could churn out highest setttings on a high res... but if 800x600 or 1024x768 is your thing...) but if those are the games you are playing... and you have no problems... (assuming "without and problems" means that)... then what was the point of this topic?

HamburgrHelpr08

HamburgrHelpr08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
w/e. im gonna start a new topic about GFX cards.

the problem was because i thought my CPu was fried but i found out it was just my Power Sup.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
HamburgrHelpr08, your specs are very similiar to mine. What is it that you don't like about it? I play lots of games:
hl2
cod2
company of hero's
command and conquer 3
Stalker
cs:s
Day of Defeat:source

Before this system, I had an intel p4 2.66ghz with 1gig of ram and an ati 9600 video card. For the record that is almost what your talking about going to. That would be a BIG downgrade. Are you having some specific issue? Did you not get the performance boost that you thought you would get?

Personally, I would consider spending money on a graphics card. All though the x800 is a great video card, it is almost 3 years hold. As newer games come out, they will not only take advantage of multithreaded performance that multi core cpu's offer, but will require better graphics. IF you've started a new thread for that, I'll save my recommendations for there...