Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

explorer.exe help

• Please log in to reply

sparkycat1

sparkycat1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Whenever I open up a folder, that contained a lot of files, on my external hard drive it looked like the folder was empty, and all of my files were lost. But it turned out that the files were not deleted, the problem was that explorer.exe will automatically start constantly increasing its ram usage when I try to open folder that contains a lot of information on my external hard drive. This causes my computer to really slow down. The only way to stop it is to turn off my external hard drive. This only happens on my desktop computer, because when I plugged my external hard drive into my laptop, it worked fine. The only way I know to solve this problem is to re-install windows, however I really don't want to do that, is there any other way to fix this problem.

Please be more careful in the future when posting topics. If the page doesn't load immediately after you click on POST NEW TOPIC, just be patient. The page will eventually load and your topic will be posted. Repeatedly hitting POST NEW TOPIC will only result in duplicate topics being posted like what happened with the three that you posted within the span of two minutes. I have merged all your topics together into this one topic. Thanks

Edited by Fenor, 08 April 2007 - 04:26 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
From the little I read about this problem it could be caused by malware in your desktop. First of all run a thorough scan with updated antivirus and antimalware programs like Spybot and AVG Anti-Spyware, preferably in safe mode.

Now, if you have the xp installation disk, insert it into the cd drive and click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow and press enter. A dialog box will show up. Checkup and repair of system files will start. When the process ends the dialog box just disappears.

If this doesn't help try a repair installation. A link in my signature will connect you to detailed instructions of how to do this.

sparkycat1

sparkycat1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have run my updated AVG many times, and the problem still presist. I have even done a repair installation and that didn't work either. The only thing I know to do fix this problem is to reinstall windows and I really don't want to do that. If anyone knows what else I can do please tell me thanks.

sparkycat1

sparkycat1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey I fixed the problem. For some reason AVg Anti-Virus was conflicting with External hard drives. When I uninstalled Avg Anti-Virus I could get in hard drives again. I wonder why AVG conflicted with my external hard drives. Right before I uninstalled it I scaned my external, and found no viruses, and I also scanned my external with AVG Anti-Spyware, and it said that there was no spyware. Does anyone no why AVG conflicts with AVG Anti-Virus. If you have any idea please let me know thanks.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't know what the reason is but I can tell you that much: As much as I like AVG Anti-Spyware (developed by Ewido, bought by AVG) I dislike AVG antivirus. I used it for years without serious problems but in the last 2 years or so they developed so many problems that I don't want to see them any more (I changed to Avast). Some examples:

1: For some reason AVG get easilly corrupted. When that happens you often get stuck with an AV that cannot be repaired, removed or re-installed. Whatever you do there are files that I, at least, couldn't remove.

2: Very often it's impossible to connect to their servers for updates.

3: Technical support is practically non-existant for the free software.

4: Avg doesn't block infected compressed files. It only blocks them when you open the files. I don't like this.

5: They have a crazy automatic scan that start on every reboot. You have no option to avoid the scan unless you cancel automatic updates. (If there is a way to do that then I just wasn't smart enough to find it).

I feel that AVG is well on the way to become another Norton. Norton used to be a lovely antivirus and it turned into a behemoth that weighs tons on the computer with million options that I don't need or want, with impossible removal method