Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer can't boot up properly

• Please log in to reply

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
Hey guys, thank you for reading this topic. :whistling:

Since about 2 hours ago, I've been having problems booting up my pc.

What happens is that when I hit the Power button, there will be "1 long beep 4 short beeps", there is no display(monitor is on but nothing shows), keyboard lights don't blink and the pc would turn off. I even switched the connector(that device you plug all your monitor, cpu, etc. plugheads into) but no joy. At the moment, I don't have another psu to test with, though.

And actually, this issue has been occurring for quite some time. What I'd do was to hit the Power button a few times and the pc would boot normally. And it's true I was hoping the problem would go away. Furthermore, this issue only occurs whenever I turn off the mains. If the pc shuts down and I don't turn off the mains, I won't have any problems booting it up.

I wonder if leaving the pc on for a few days(with sufficient cooling) would hurt it, though. I was advised by a guy at some hardware repair shop to let the pc rest often... sorry, I didn't always follow his advice.

Further system information:

- Antec True power 2.0 480W
Yeah, my former psu was giving me problems and it was a TruePower 1.0 480W. I brought it to Antec and exchanged it for a 2.0 version. From searching via Google, I wonder how much Amps it has on 12 V(not the specifications, but the real values).
- Abit av8 2.0
This motherboard has had some problems with the onboard lan. Disabling the onboard lan would cause the pc not to boot up and updating the bios would cause the pc to not boot up because of the onboard lan. The current version of the bios is unknown since I can't remember as the bios was reset at some hardware shop.
- AMD a64 3000+
- PowerColor 9600 Pro
- Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Live Value
- 2 pieces of Corsair 1 gb ram
- a Western Digital SATA and a Western Digital IDE(not too sure about the specific models. Will check.)
-Gigabyte 3d rocket PCU23-VE (it's a cpu cooler... should take care of most of the heat)

Edited by Chicken mania, 08 April 2007 - 08:22 AM.

Advertisements

Chicken mania

Chicken mania

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Okay, finally the pc booted up!!!

However, the display read "Fail-Safe mode" which likely means there's some hardware issue or possibly a heat issue here.
And when I tried to boot into Ubuntu(just to see what would happen), there was this "high low high low" beeps.

What I'll probably do: I'll just leave the pc off for about 5 to 12 hours and see what happens.

Is it possible that because I ran the pc overnight for a few days, without turning it off, the heat might be causing the boot problems? I just opened the casing, btw, and it was quite hot.

Darnit... if heat's really the cause, then I really should not have turned down the speed of the Gigabyte fan. Because my room is kinda stuffy(poor ventilation) and the weather in country is pretty hot and humid, I would set my Gigabyte fan to run at the "Overclock" speed. Yet recently, I turned the knob down to "Normal" as the fan was really noisy.

Edited by Chicken mania, 08 April 2007 - 08:34 AM.

bobmad

bobmad

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
The first thing I would do if I suspected heat as the issue is (with the computer off and the power unplugged) open the case and dust. Please remember to be careful not to hit any components. if it's hotter in the case that in the room leaving the case open for a little while could help. I am NOT saying run it without the case closed many designs rely on t he case being closed for proper air flow.

If your case looks like mine inside, you will find a LOT of dust. This will actually form a thermal barrier (like a blanket) that traps heat in your machine.

No doubt one of the experts here soon to give further advice. Unless you are overcloking, I would not expect leaving the machine on to cause overheating. I am concerned that you have needed to run the fan at higher than normal speeds to get a stable system. Do you have space around the case for airflow? 2-3 inches of free space around all intakes?