Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Networks

• Please log in to reply

driftless

driftless

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a wireless network set-up in my flat and every so often there is a problem: the network is still present but the internet is not accessible on it. This occurs not only on the computers accessing the wireless network, but also my laptop which is wired to the router. When looking at the router the WLAN light has gone off (although sometimes it is on, but not flickering like normal). If I turn the router off, then back on again (simply by unlpugging the power cable, then putting it back in again) the problem is fixed. This seems to happen randomly rather than regularly, although it goes through periods where the problems occurs more often than usual.

I am just wondering whether there is a fault with the router or whether it is the way I have set the network up?

Details are as follows?

Laptop - Toshiba Satellite
Modem - NTL Cable Modem
Router - Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G

Internet Connection Type - Automatic Configuration - DHCP
Router Name - WRT54G
Host Name -
Domain Name -
MTU - Auto
Size - 1500

Local IP Address - 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server - Enabled
Starting IP Address - 192.168.1.100
Maximum Number Of DHCP Users - 50
Client Lease Time - 0
Static DNS 1 - 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 2 - 0.0.0.0
Static DNS 3 - 0.0.0.0
WINS - 0.0.0.0

When setting up the network I was not sure whether to use DCHP or Static IP, anyone have any ideas if this is the problem? There are 8 people in my flat, all of whom wish to access the internet.

If you need any more details just ask.

Thanks a lot,

Tom.

(Please post on the forum. Email addy removed by Johanna to prevent spam)

Advertisements

DMME

DMME

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello driftless. It may be a problem with your ISP. I had the same problem as this awhile back and it happened to be that the Cable line that was connected to my house was a tad bit loose.

Anyway, try turning off and disconnecting the Modem and Router and leaving it overnight.

Edited by DMME, 09 April 2007 - 06:50 PM.