Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB not working correctly

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I just noticed something rather strange the other day. I have only 1 functional USB port on my computer, wheras this time last week all 6 of them worked. If I plug a removable device such as a phone into any of the USBs it will still charge (or at least say it is charging) but will not be detected by the computer.

This is a bit of a pain because I need that one USB port for my mouse. A while ago I switched back to an old power supply after my old one exploded, so maybe that could be the cause?

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you plug a removable device in first time, Windows will tell you found new hardware. Plug it in a second time in any port you like, it won't tell you found new hardware. It'll just show up in My Computer. Same with other hardware - it'll just work, Windows won't tell you its found it again.

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The point is that none of my USB devices are working anymore. No matter what ports I plug them into (Even re-wired my USBs to go to front panel) my devices will not show up and thus not work. Probably a motherboard fault, but don't feel like having to buy another new motherboard.

I sometimes get the message that the USB device has malfunctioned, depending on what port I plug it into.

Guest_jwinathome_*

Guest_jwinathome_*
These problems came before or after you RE-WIRED them?

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01-Thomascoote [USB not working] 9th APR-2007

A while ago I switched back to an old power supply after my old one exploded, so maybe that could be the cause?

I think the keyword here is – exploded – Refer to Post – 01-Thomascoote [Exploded Power Supply] 4th MAR-2007 - http://www.geekstogo...s...=150878&hl=

Hey, I just noticed something rather strange the other day. I have only 1 functional USB port on my computer, wheras this time last week all 6 of them worked.

Probably a motherboard fault, but don't feel like having to buy another new motherboard.

Is this the same system & same Power Supply?? Or did you update since this episode? Have you replaced the motherboard?

Even re-wired my USBs to go to front panel)

Can you share the details on that procedure? Maybe you knocked something loose – or maybe missed moving a Motherboard USB Jumper?

Did the USB ports work after replacing the exploding PS?
How many USB devices do you have installed –
Have you examined Device Manager to see if any USB Controllers are present?
Do you have any Temp & Voltage Monitor utility programs to measure Temperatures & voltages?

Jack123